Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get annoyed when I watch one of those home improvement episodes on tv when one of the "contractors" talks about routering the lumber, A router is a machine that routs.:)

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
US english....

And, not necessarily, English...LOL :)

However, two of my pet peeves are, bad spelling and using the wrong word, so I agree with Lee. :lol:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
And, not necessarily, English...LOL :)

However, two of my pet peeves are, bad spelling and using the wrong word, so I agree with Lee. :lol:
but but but James....
everybody still knows what is being said....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't watch those shows, but I love them. I get more business from folks who call and need someone to finish their little "DIY" project up. The biggest majority say " it looked so easy on tv", or " I thought it would only take three days like on tv". Keep 'em comin......LATWTTB..(laughing all the way to the bank)....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Fer sure Lee, "Routing" will suffice. My pet peeve are folks saying "Libary" instead of library or "Febuary" instead of February. Also "Larnyx" instead of Larynx.

Remember: "Ain't" fell in the paint and ain't used no more,,, :lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Amen Ronald!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sometimes it's a little bit confused, for foreigners, but it's really good to see their job!
Very instructive.
Sid

·
Registered
590 Posts
Foreigners,,, Heck, even I talk with an accent, depending on where I am at,,, :lol:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It may point out that the talking head isn't a tradesman and reading a script written by a non-tradesman.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
As we occasionally remarked on new hires "Yesterday I couldn't spell car-peeen-ter, today I are one". As one can imagine those new hires frequently left before the end of the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Foreigners,,, Heck, even I talk with an accent, depending on where I am at,,, :lol:
I'm from the south of England, though I live in California. A few weeks ago on a business trip I had a pleasant young girl at the hotel desk in Memphis TN tell me to be sure to come back because "Y'all done get such a nahs accent."

Heck, till then, I didn't even know that "accent" was a four syllable word!

-On the original topic of wrong - in fact non-existent = words, my pet hate is hearing some TV news bubblehead say "burglarize".

A burglar does not 'burglarize'! He 'burgles'!

Does a hunter 'hunterize'? Does a router 'routerize'? Is my wife going shoperizing?

Richard

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
...isn't "jointing" when you visit multiple breweries and ordering the sampler at each...?

EDIT...sorry...I meant orderizing...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome to the forum Richard! See, we can even have an accent when we write! Well, there is that accent again Richard. When in the UK the burglar burgles. When in the US the burglar burglarizes. See, our accents depend on where we are.

Note variations too: UK, Canada, Australia - colour, harbour, whilst vs. the U.S. - color, harbor, while. U.S. ******** (in the South) have their own language to "git" her done.

The way words are entered into the dictionary is actually a result of how frequently and by what majority the word is used. A non-word frequently used by many people becomes a dictionary word. Look how long it took to get "email" into our dictionaries.

Well, I guess I am doing alright as long as I do not "buggarize" something,,,lol...:lol: I guess I did that plenty when I was younger.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: billyjim
1 - 20 of 88 Posts