Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I saw the now-unavailable Join-Tech router table fence, I've wanted one. The closet fence that I can find to it is the Incra LS. Incra has some Combo systems that include the fence and table. The Combo 2 and Combo 3 are appealing.

It really surprises me how hard it is to find a stocking dealer. While Incra has quite a few dealers listed in their "Where To Buy" section, most of them, including Highland and Rockler, don't show the Combos on their websites. The one site that appears to have them in stock wants $90 to ship by ground.

If you were going to buy an Incra Combo 2 or 3, where would you buy it? I'm thinking that Incra has some distribution issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good source although they're on back order. I wonder why they're not listed on the Incra site.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Check Carbide Processors. (carbideprocessors.com) I think Tom ships free on $150 orders, and be sure to register for their e-mail updates to get a 10% discount on your first order.

Disclaimer--no personal interest, just a satisfied customer.

Besides, i can't imagine anybody knows more about cutting tools and carbide than Tom Walz. Very good prices on Tenryu blades, and good service as well. Good service, though the shipping/tracking system isn't on a par with Amazon--but there is always a small bag of candy in the boxes they ship themselves. Incra will probably be a "drop ship" order (so no candy!!), so the delivery will be based on availability--just like Incremental, which i think is Incra's own retail outlet.

I like Incra stuff, and have had good service from Incremental--but really like working with CP. And--Incra is still there for support when needed.

Regarding the candy--several weeks ago i bought an i Box, a few saw blades and a few other odds & ends. I couldn't get home before SWMBO on delivery day--so i was busted on the new purchase. The two little baggies of bite-sized candies caught her fancy, and suddenly all was good. (she never complains anyway, but it's always better when she's in good humor!!)

earl

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Earl, what a great suggestion! These guys are great. I'm sure I will do some business with them. Thanks for the recommendation. However, I have to ask. Why are they not listed on Incra's site?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought a combo system for my table saw. I was trying to piece it all together on Amazon and talked to Incra, they did tell me that Incra does ship to Amazon, so if you find it in stock at Amazon, there will be no wait.

I ended up buying from incramental tools because it was actually cheaper and they'll give you a 10% discount on your first order.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up buying from incramental tools because it was actually cheaper and they'll give you a 10% discount on your first order.
Where did you see the 10% discount on the first order? Carbide Processors has a $10 off coupon for the first order, but I could not find 10% off. I like discounts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jointech/Incra

too bad join tech is out of business
It seems to me that they pioneered the router table jig and Incra copied it.
Theirs was superior IMHO :wink:but cost a bit more
If you can find one on ebay or craigs list, it is worth the price.same settings etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
patlaw - you should contact Incra directly and order through them. I've had good experiences purchasing direct from the manufacturer.

in particular, the manufacturer can sell it at the lowest price by far. when they work through distributors and the retailers that those distributors supply, price get marked up north of 50% (so that the retailers and distributors can take a fair cut of the total price). so they have a strong incentive to sell direct, and even ship for free, or offer unadvertised discounts if you really connect with the sales rep and tell them what what you need, what you can afford, and how you might have to buy a lower priced table if they can't tweak the cost for you. plus, you've probably just earned an easy commission for some nice person at the company.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Check Carbide Processors. (carbideprocessors.com) I think Tom ships free on $150 orders, and be sure to register for their e-mail updates to get a 10% discount on your first order.

Disclaimer--no personal interest, just a satisfied customer.

earl
I can't seem to edit this post so...

CORRECTION--that should be $10 off the first order, not 10%. Still, with the free shipping and responsive staff, nice folks to work with.

My apologies for the incorrect information.
earl

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I bought mine from Incra directly and the price was higher and I told them I can get it at a lower price
and they matched it. I guess we all have different experiences.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess a lot depends on who you talk with and what day of the week it is, or something like that. Over the years, I've gotten better and worse deals than the next guy. You have to be patient and persistent.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
A lot of manufacturers have agreements with their vendors and can NOT undersell their dealers.

Festool is a great example. Their retail price is the same EVERYWHERE.

Reactions: furboo

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
too bad join tech is out of business
It seems to me that they pioneered the router table jig and Incra copied it.
Theirs was superior IMHO :wink:but cost a bit more
If you can find one on ebay or craigs list, it is worth the price.same settings etc.
I have an old JT IPM as well as an LS25. Side by side, the Incra product is better. Incra bought the assets of JT, including the patents on the IPM, so it's really not a copy but an evolution. The current LS Positioner is superior to the old JT IPM in a number of ways. The 3 way latching mechanism is much better (and faster to use). They have slots for up to 4 templates and rulers (the old IPM has one). The micropositioning dial is better too. Overall, it feels a lot more refined than the old IPM.

Also, if you find an old JT IPM for sale, check the locking screw mechanism. The threads go through aluminum which doesn't last that long when over-tightened.

Note that the old IPM and all Incra positioners use the same templates. And the pyRouterJig template software works for all of them as well.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A lot of manufacturers have agreements with their vendors and can NOT undersell their dealers.

Festool is a great example. Their retail price is the same EVERYWHERE.
Yeah, tru dat. Though, I think it's not so much of an agreement but rather common sense. Manufacturers work hard to keep their prices high and by selling direct for less, they undercut their own message and their retailers will drop them. In fact, they will drop dealers that discount the products. Discounts originate at the manufacturer - that's why you often see multiple sellers advertising essentially the same discount. Also that's why you see stuff like free shipping and "bonus gifts" - just another form of discount that doesn't run afoul of the manufacturers price.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where did you see the 10% discount on the first order? Carbide Processors has a $10 off coupon for the first order, but I could not find 10% off. I like discounts.
I can't remember but I think the guy on the phone told me about it when I was asking about availability while I was deciding where to place my order at. I called them to confirm that the lead time on their website was accurate.

For background, Amazon had some of it in stock at the time and I was trying to get it as quick as I could. The way Amazon was bundling things I had to get multiple items to get the whole combo kit and that made it go over in price, even with my free shipping with Amazon Prime. I ended up getting a $82 credit so it covered the shipping and bought a couple of cups of Starbucks coffee, plus it was less money altogether anyway so the wait wasn't so bad.

I'd 2nd calling them up and asking, I'm pretty sure I recall him telling me it's an "automatic" thing on a 1st time purchase. And get yourself signed up for their rewards program before you order, that way you get some credit on your next order to use. Incra's customer service is everything you've heard it to be. I got another router plate due to mine being warped with no hassle at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might also look into the Sommerfeld Table at Somerfeld tools .com
No nothing in it for me I am new to the wood working industry and I just got my table top, Fence and Triton TA100 router.
What a beautiful set up.
James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts