Router Forums banner

Infinity Mega Flush Trim Bit

1432 Views 20 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  TenGees
Hello, I just tried an Infinity mega flush trim bit (2" H x 1.5 "Dia) in my JessEm router table with a 3.25 HP PC motor. I set the speed to 16,000 rpm (Infinity suggested 18,000 but my PC has 16k and 19k). When I turned it on my first impression was that the bit was LOUD. Way louder than any other bit I have ever used - including some large diameter raised panel bits. It also seemed like quite a bit of vibration. I thought that this must be normal for such a heavy and large bit. But after about 5 min of using it to trim some chair legs with a patterning jig I noticed that the lift had actually raised up about 1/4 if an inch because of the vibration. This has never happened before. I made sure the collet was clean and that the bit was seated and snug.

My question is for anyone who uses this bit: it is supposed to be so loud and is it supposed to vibrate this much? It does not seem safe to me. I called Infinity and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G'day @Charger68, welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the vibration caused the router lift to raise up?
G'day @Charger68, welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the vibration caused the router lift to raise up?
I don't know what else it could have been. I've never had my lift move at all with any bit no matter how long I had it running. Then with this bit it raised up 1/4 inch in 5 min. I know this because the lower guide bearing on the bit moved up from the jig edge to the actual piece I was cutting. This left a thin strip of uncut wood on my chair leg. I'm just wondering if anyone has used this bit and had the same observations.
Welcome to the forum @Charger68
First, thank you for your welcomes. I have read posts on this site for many years and have learned a lot but this is the first time I have posted anything myself. I did some more detective work with the Infinity mega bit. I wish there was some way I could post a video because this shows what is happening the best. When the router is turned on with the mega bit installed the depth wheel on the table tops just spins by itself. I never would have known this when I was using the patterning jig because it is covered up. I was shocked at how fast it was spinning. I tried other speeds but it did not make a noticeable difference. As I mentioned before it is abnormally loud too. I then replaced the mega bit with a 3 1/4 inch diameter raised panel bit and set the speed to 10,000 (recommended for this bit). When running with this bit the noise is much less and there is no obvious vibration - and more importantly, the depth wheel does not spin on its own. As I said before, I have never seen this problem with any bit I have ever used - large or small. If there is a way to include videos let me know.

The most important thing here for me is the safety issue. So I first wanted to find out if anyone else has had this type of thing happen - with the Infinity mega bit or any bit for that matter. I've also contacted Infinity and they reluctantly agreed to take a look at the bit if I pay all shipping. BTW, the bit is just over 30 days old and their return policy is 30 days. It took me a while to figure all this out so I missed the date. Thanks for your help.
See less See more
Hi, I think the bit is out of balance. Defective. Not safe to use. Contact infinity and describe the problem, including that there was no vibration with another bit. That means it's not the router or the collet. They should replace it. At that RPM, it doesn't take much to be out of balance.

Also possible is that you have a mismatch of metric/imperial sizes of bit shank and collet, Whatever the cause, this is a dangerous bit. Good thing you noticed and stopped using it.
Reactions: 1
My question is for anyone who uses this bit:
I apologize for responding here, but I've been eyeing that bit for a while and I too would like to hear from real users.
I could speculate all day with pointless blather but I'll await for some qualified replies also.
I apologize for responding here, but I've been eyeing that bit for a while and I too would like to hear from real users.
I could speculate all day with pointless blather but I'll await for some qualified replies also.
Here is a bit of an update. I sent the bit back to Infinity (I had to pay shipping) and also submitted a detailed description of the problem. I also sent them two videos. One video showed that when I had the Mega bit installed and turned on my router that the noise was very loud and that the vibration caused my router lift to raise on its own. The second video showed a Whiteside 3 1/4 dia bit running smoothly - and with much less noise and vibration. Infinity told me they would test the bit to see if there was a problem.

I am fairly certain that these bits are really good as long as they are not defective like the one I got. I am hoping that Infinity is reasonable and sends me a new bit. I'll post an update when I hear back from them.
Maximum R.P.M. for 1-1/2" diameter bits is 16,000 (not 18,000)
Yes, I agree. My PC router has settings of 16,000 and then jumps to 19,000. I started out at 16,000. Then when I contacted Infinity they told me to use a higher speed and this would fix the problem. It didn't. I didn't notice any significant difference in the vibration between these two speeds. I also went down to 13,000 - same result.
I heard back from Infinity on the testing of the bit. They told me it "ran smoothly" for them. So they claim there was nothing wrong with the bit and it was me. I then asked if they watched the videos I sent them. They did not respond to this question even though I asked twice (once by email and once on the phone). They ignored the videos altogether. According to their return rules, at this point all they had to do is return the bit to me. But, for some reason they agreed to refund my money (but not the shipping either way). This seemed odd to me. If the bit was find why would they refund my money - it was after the 30 day policy. Then I realized they just got me to pay for shipping to get the bit back to them so they could toss it. I asked for a replacement bit instead and they refused. You can make up your own mind about this company but I will not buy from them again.
Router speeds can be increased or decreased depending on performance…

I consider manufacturer router speeds to be starter points…
Router speeds can be increased or decreased depending on performance…

I consider manufacturer router speeds to be starter points…
Don't you understand the word "MAXIMUM"? Can you increase against a Maximum?

From Infinity Website:-
Please note: You must have a variable speed router to run these bits.
  • Maximum R.P.M. for 3/4" diameter bits is 18,000
  • Maximum R.P.M. for 1-1/2" diameter bits is 16,000
yes you can increase..

If I’m running a bit at 14,000 and it has less tear out at 15,000 I’m going to change the+setting regardless to what the manufacturer “recommends“

This is especially common on bits dulling from use..
yes you can increase..

If I’m running a bit at 14,000 and it has less tear out at 15,000 I’m going to change the+setting regardless to what the manufacturer “recommends“

This is especially common on bits dulling from use..
"Recommended Speed" and (absolute) "Maximum Speed" are NOT the same!
OP could have broken his router's lower bearings or chipped part of the carbide cutter tip so bent the shank by exceeding the "maximum speed".and hense caused imbalance.and vibrations.
Could?

Glad I don’t live on manuals, I would have never got out of a cabinet shop..
Thanks for posting all this feedback. Good to know what companies stand behind their products, and who doesn't.
Manufacturers document to protect themselves. Not unusual to see professionals manipulate recommended speeds or maximum I’m speeds. As I stated before I will move speeds up or down according to results. You can’t verify every speed is as it suggests on the router from the factory either..
I remember on Woodnet in around 2005, everytome there was a problem with a Freud router bit “Charles from Freud” would say it must be a bad bit. After you hear this enough you just stop buying that brand. Maybe something to consider with Infinity…
Looking back on the posts I never mentioned”Maximum”...
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.