Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the porter cable style router bushing set and am new to inlays and how to figure out how to rout a 3" relief in a table top for a 3" diameter inlay.
I'm sure the first piece of business is to make a female template then use that and the proper bushing to route the relief but the math escapes me. Can any one give me a
push start?
Thanks, Mike58

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Michael

This should help
Router Workshop: Inlays
Router Workshop: Inlay tip

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/99000-99999/99552.pdf
========

I am using the porter cable style router bushing set and am new to inlays and how to figure out how to rout a 3" relief in a table top for a 3" diameter inlay.
I'm sure the first piece of business is to make a female template then use that and the proper bushing to route the relief but the math escapes me. Can any one give me a
push start?
Thanks, Mike58

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike, I think this formula is correct. Just solve for the one unknown that you want. The inlay circle diameter equals the template diameter less one half the outer diameter of the bushing plus one half the diameter of the router bit. I have the same problem to solve, I need a 2 3/8" inlay circle.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
This thread is from 2011 and BJ (BobJ3) passed away. He took delight from helping forum members with problems like this. I miss the stinker.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ace. The posts you are replying to are over 4 years old. There is a date at the top left corner of all posts. The simple formula for the offset is the OD of the guide bushing - the diameter of the bit divided by 2. Ex.- a 1" guide - a 1/2' bit will give a 1/4" offset. 1 - .5 /2= .25

There is an exception to that. If you were cutting a circle out and keeping the center round. If you went around the inside of a circular template with the same setup as above then your bit would be offset from the template by that 1/4" then you would add the diameter of the bit. Ex.- 6" round template - 1/4" offset + 1/2" bit = 3/4" . You would wind up with a 5.25" circle in the center.

This all may seem complicated but if you make a drawing of the parts it is actually very simple when you can see it.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 6 of 6 Posts