Router Forums banner

Inlay project

6361 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Pro4824
I had a request for personalized serving trays for two employee's 50th anniversary with the company. Here is a photo of what I made. The frame is baltic birch and the tray bottom is walnut inlaid with maple. The inlay was a pretty straight forward process and the results were pretty good. The issue that gave me the most problem was chipping of the inlay material. The process I used has a starting cut depth of .1 inch with a flat depth of .2 inch. The first pass was very deep and that's where I think most of the chipping occurred. I used maple thinking it would be a dense, consistent cutting material. I cut the tray ends on my CNC if anyone is interested in the file. The sides were cut on my table saw as was the tray bottom. It was a very simple method for constructing a tray.

Yes, my kitchen is my finishing booth.

Jay

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Great work! Inlaying is something I look forward to trying.
OK lil buddy where's the step by step pics??
Very nice !

Good use of a cnc.

Don't know much about this inlay technique,
do someone know a good thread about it ?

Regards.
Gérard
Very nice !

Good use of a cnc.

Don't know much about this inlay technique,
do someone know a good thread about it ?

Regards.
Gérard
Here is where I found it.

Tips - VInlay Technique

And also here:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=564
Reactions: 1
Very nice Jay great job on the inlay
Nicely done, Jay! Those are some good looking trays.

David
Amazing work Jay. Hard to comprehend those are even inlays
Jay,

Is that all one inlay or did you do several? The results are great!!
Jay,

Is that all one inlay or did you do several? The results are great!!
Thank you! I did the logo separate from the lettering. All the lines of lettering were cut on one board. It's cool how it just nests together perfectly. I used the CNC to machine off all the excess wood then sanded flat.
Thanks. I have done some simple inlays, but haven't tried anything like yours. Thanks for the inspiration.
Dave
Nice looking and very original design.
I like it very much and they will to.
Thanks a lot Jay!

Now I understand it.

Fantastic accuracy of cnc works.

Regards.
Gérard.
Very nice trays, Jay. Amazing that those are inlays.
Jay they look great! When I do the v-carve inlays I add an offset vector for a roughing cut so the bit doesn't have to force the first cut and possibly cause some chatter. I also edit the cut depth of the v-bit for the inlay and pocket so it is not trying to cut too much at one time.

I do a lot of end-grain inlays in cutting boards and find that the end-grain wood cuts cleaner than the straight grain wood.

I think the 2 most important things with v-carve inlays is not to force the cut and have plenty of clamps ready when gluing.
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.