Router Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Version 2 Freehand. Freehand as in routing an irregular shape using a bearing bit or template on the table but without a fence.
then the pick up on the fence is made to order...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bill,

I followed your lead today and increased the air flow of my Woodpecker inserts the performed some routing with two of them.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that it noticeably increases air intake. The woodpecker inserts have radial ribs that divide the back into 12 angled segments so I drilled the largest hole that I could without impacting the ribs.

Concern was raised about the upward draft from router fan perhaps blowing the saw dust out (if I interpreted the concern correctly). I can say this was not my observation with the 7518 motor. Although the air does discharge from the end of the motor, it actually discharges the air more centrifugally out the end rather than linearly. When the dust collector is on, this centrifugal seems like it just disperses the fresh dust in the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I’m intrigued by all this dialogue, but being a book learner type, a few photos would be greatly appreciated...please!?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I’m intrigued by all this dialogue, but being a book learner type, a few photos would be greatly appreciated...please!?
point out what you would like clarified or to understand and you best prepare to be inundated....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi folks,

This is my first post. I’m sharing my router insert mod for feedback and suggestions.

Background: I’ve been working on a router table setup that includes a PC 7518 in a Jessem lift, an Incra Ls Positioner, and the Incra Wonderfence. I plan to build the table with a DC box under the router. I have researched other great threads for that.

I ran into a snag where the Jessem inserts have no DC suction holes like the desired Incra magnaloc inserts do for e.g. -for plowing dados away from the fence DC.

Solution: While I could invest in an Incra adapter plate and cleansweep inserts I decided to modify the Jessem inserts and add my own holes. I’ve attached pictures of the mod. I figure the holes should be adequate to capture dust during dadoing away from the fence DC. I home the material going by bit doesn’t snag on the hole edges. I sanded flat and removed burrs. As you see in the pics the insert underside has divisions that assisted even placement of Forster bit holes.

Feedback/suggestion?

Best Regards,

Bill

Hey Bill, just checking in to see if you have any progress to report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey folks, I followed this thread until I thought it was finished but went back a few days ago and was surprised at how it had continued. My apologies to mbrun for not responding sooner. Lesson learned, stay in touch.

Man, I’m impressed by the contributions on this thread! There are obviously inventors among us. Routing and dust collection. A significant challenge.

From the contributions, I’m left with ”conclusions” about router table dc:

1. For under router table dust collection boxes the insert holes have been found effective.
2. The PC 7518 has a significant air pull through it exiting at the bit, but with adequate dc system it is “all“ pulled downward when dadoing away from the fence or with no fence.
3. Not fully covered but adjustable air replacement for the box helps dc.
4. It may be desirable to go the extra mile and arrange a fresh supply of air for the router by ”snorkel” tube ( contributer stick ) or dividing the box to isolate. The router air intake (contributer mbrun)

Re #4 mbrun shared this picture:

This is my router with Jessem lift:

I’m inclined to pursue mbrun’s split box design but I obviously have to shape the divider. To accommodate the lift posts. Concerns would be making sure I can still remove and service the router.

This has been taking a while with other connected projects. The plan being to replace the top of a heavy Husky metal table frame with a torsion box multifunction table with router and it’s dc box built in, also serving as a table saw out feed table.

Well I finished with a tour, minus the coffee!

Best regards.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts