Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Mark
Lots of great info here...My question is, how importanat is it to have the correct insert ring in place? I ask because I have a new sew set up. Woodpecker phenolic table and fence with a Jessem lift and a new Bosch 1617 kit. Jessem supplied 1ring but i will not fit a few of my bits. I am still in the screw around phase just getting use to everything and milling scrapp wood. I do not want to do damage to my router with dust or what not. I have acouple passes with no ring at all..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
call JessEm..
my lift came w/ a full set of rings..
their CS is very good...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome. The rings are to add stability to small or narrow pieces although they can affect dust control.
Normally for the largest bits you don’t use any rings but you should have at least a small one and a midsize one. That’s how the Grizzley insert plate comes. Your router has a built in cooling fan that sucks air in from the top and pushes it towards the bit which also then pushes dust away. All of the dust is created above the table so with small clearances around the bit there won’t be be much air flowing through but there also isn’t much room for dust to go down. A wider gap means more air going through the gap. Where you can wind up with problems is when you try to get everything to reverse direction by trying to suck it back down by enclosing the router in a box and putting your dust pickup under the router. I believe it is Herb Stoops that solved that by adding a tube that connected outside the box to the router intake so that the intake is not affected by the DC. In fact, with that configuration cooling and keeping dust out of the router are improved.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.