Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Is there anyone out there can help me.
I am making a headboard for a double bed, the top rail is curved with a small inverted curve on either end.
My problem is to rout a dado in the top rail,as a decoration,following the outside profile.
The same as a router fence but on a curved edge.
Does anyone know of a copier or follower that will do this without making more templates.
I will also need to make a dado on the inside edge of the top rail to accommodate the inside panel.
There is also a moulded rail that sits on the top of the top rail and follows the curve of the top.

Woodentop
undefined

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
For your decorative dado, I think a template is the best way to go, since if you used an edge guide, it would be difficult to ensure that you stayed exactly parallel to your edge.

For your groove for the field panel, I think a slot cutter would be the best bet.

Any pictures or sketches you can share can help us give you a better idea of how to pull this off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Inserting a Dado at a set distancefrom the edge of a curved surface

Hi

Jerry & Doug

Thanks for your reply, I have attached a drawing, hope this looks alright.
If you look at the small drawing at top left, I have drawn the top rail with the bold black line in the center to represent the dado or rout.
The top rail moulding sits on top of the top rail and follows the contour of this rail.This mould is shorter than the headboard and only covers the center arch.
The problem is to find a copying device or jig to do just this without having to make a number of templates.

Many thanks

Woodentop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inserting a Dado at a set distancefrom the edge of a curved surface

Hi

Jerry & Doug

Thanks for your reply, I have attached a drawing, hope this looks alright.
If you look at the small drawing at top left, I have drawn the top rail with the bold black line in the center to represent the dado or rout.
The top rail moulding sits on top of the top rail and follows the contour of this rail.This mould is shorter than the headboard and only covers the center arch.
The problem is to find a copying device or jig to do just this without having to make a number of templates.

Many thanks

Woodentop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.