Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Great Forum. I'm sure many of you have never seen this question (haha) so here goes....

I've been given a piece of granite to work with, inch and a quarter thick, and want to take this "remnant" and have it cut for a router table top.

Cutting it with a local shop (computer controlled) will cost 45$, but I'm not sure whose plate to go with. I don't have a lift right now, but will next summer.

Since cutting this granite may be a one time deal, I have to be sure of which insert / lift to go to. I have a Rousseau plate but don't really like it. I want to to go metal, and like the benchdog products, but think that will limit me in the future with their somewhat oddball plate dimension. Anyone used the Veritas round plate?

Gentlemen, ready for all your advice........

Anyway

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Marshall,

I have the Veritas 9" round plate (PDF attached), if this is the one you're talking about. I purchased it primarily for hand held use with a plunge router because of its 1-1/2" guide bushing support. That said, I do have it mounted as a secondary router in my RT.

It was incredibly easy to center, drill and mount on my base (it comes with only the guide bushing hole drilled) with their great technique and included install kit. As you know but others may not, Veritas (LeeValley) is confident enough with their kit so as to offer you a free replacement base if you screw up on the first one, but it really is that easy.

If you're considering this for the granite top, be aware of the bottom-side routing shown at the bottom of page 4. This may up your milling costs.

Also, the plate is made out of a polymer / plastic and you indicated a preference for metal.

I have a ~15#, 15 amp "3 hp" router hanging from it with no perceptable sag.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Which ever plate you choose it's good to have removable incerts of different sizes for the different diameter of bits. Make sure the center opening can handle the largest diameter bit you are going to use. I have raised panel bits that are 3-1/2" dia. I take the incert out to use these. There are some setups that will not allow use of this size.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Above Table Adjustment

I am struggling to find a router and table insert that has above the table adjustment and bit change. Fine woodworking did a review back in 2006 but it is outdated. I want to spend 200-250 for the pair. I need a router that is at least 2hp and I don't want a plastic insert that will not be or stay flat....any suggestions?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just installed the HF plate to my bosch 1617 base. This router has above table adjustment and the motor easily comes out of the base for bit change. The router combo with plunge base also is $199 I believe. The HF plate is only $20 as I found out from this site and then purchased.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I am struggling to find a router and table insert that has above the table adjustment and bit change. Fine woodworking did a review back in 2006 but it is outdated. I want to spend 200-250 for the pair. I need a router that is at least 2hp and I don't want a plastic insert that will not be or stay flat....any suggestions?
Hi,
The Triton routers have a built in router raiser the lets you adjust bit height above table built in. They have a 2-1/4 hp & a new 3-1/4 hp. I would buy the 3-1/4 model if you were going to make raised panels for cabinets or use any large bits in the future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Both the new Triton routers are adjustable from the top , the large one for some reason doesnt come with a crank??. As for the plate you just need to research which ones adjust from on top. Heres a link for woodpecker, I like their products, pricey but solid, You could do a cheaper plate, or even make your own polycarbonate plate ,drill holes and put your own allen screws under it. I have a freud plate and it does adjust from the top.

Router Table Mounting Plate - Aluminum

·
Registered
10,714 Posts

Hi there and welcome to the RouterForums turningnut.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Both the new Triton routers are adjustable from the top , the large one for some reason doesnt come with a crank??. As for the plate you just need to research which ones adjust from on top. Heres a link for woodpecker, I like their products, pricey but solid, You could do a cheaper plate, or even make your own polycarbonate plate ,drill holes and put your own allen screws under it. I have a freud plate and it does adjust from the top.

Router Table Mounting Plate - Aluminum
The 2-1/4hp router has always been adjustable from the top & the new 3-1/4hp Triton I bought last month has a crank. The old version of the 3-1/4 was not adjustable from the top. Some sellers still have the old version without the built-in lift in stock that they are selling. Most of the prices I've seen for the older non crank 3-1/4hp go for around 180.00. The new one goes for over 200.00

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the comments and replies. This has been extremely helpful. I have several scrap pieces of granite to work with, and have decided to go forward with the bench dog insert (aluminum). Next is the decision to bore through the top for the fence guides or do go for a side mounted set-up. I'm not really trying to limit cutting the granite, more trying to keep the work surface free of changes.

Are there any fans out there of table saw style fences (single side adjustment) for router tables?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.