Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to using a router. Mine is a Dremel router attachment.
How do I cut the tiny inside corners on letters Like an A or even the square corners on an E?

Joe

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome Joe,
Use a small wood chisel. If you want to get elaborate, there are spring loaded chisels that you strike with a hammer. The first method that I described should serve you. -Derek

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Joe

You may want to drop a P.M.or a email or a post to Terry and ask him for a tip and how he got his so sharp in the corners.
Almost all of his letters have sharp corners and he said it was a free hand router job.

See his post below.. :) , he did a great job on his sign.

http://www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?p=30796#post30796

Bj :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi Joe,,
Derek is right about using small wood chisels, I use them some times,,, I also have used wood carving tools in the same manner.
Most of the time, I use an air powered die grinder, with small rotary cutters and use it like a micro router. It works for me. I have several of them, that I bought from Harbor Freight, You can get them for about $14.99 and I have used the diamond point sets they sell for about $3.99 for a set of 20 different shapes,, How ever they are a pretty fine diamond grit and load up fast, they will not take a lot of material out,, if you look in wood carving catalogs,, you can find the same kind of cutting tools that are in Ruby and they will cut better, I only use them for sharpening up the very tight inside corners,, I have found some very small burrs that have 1/8 inch shafts that fit the air die grinders,, those work very nice also, and remove more material faster then the diamond or Ruby cutters,, but there are NO hard fast rules,, ya use what every ya find and works for you to get you where you want to go,,, Main thing is to just have fun making your signs,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts