Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
well, I don't know how others might do it. . . . but, my first "similar" issue, I used files, rasps, sandpapers, etc to smooth the edges down "by hand". It won't take but a few minutes, so get going on it.
oh, BTW, that is a VERY nice tray !!!

·
Official Greeter
20,113 Posts
Hi Kim. Do you have a hand held router or a router table?
As suggested by John, I would make the handles while the end pieces are still rectagles.
You could cut the slots with hole saw and jig saw and round over with your 1/4" roundover bit.

If you are going to make a few, I would make a template for a guiide bush and straight cutter, then rouind over.

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
The issue is that the outside of the handle was easily routed after assembly and now the inside of the handle needs to be routed and there is no way to get a power tool into the tight space; thus my suggestion to "Round it Over By Hand". A 1/4" roundover isn't all that much to knock out with some rough sandpaper and elbow grease. Glue a piece of 80 grit paper to a flat stick and round dowel to get started then fold some small pieces over your finger to finish it up.
I'm looking forward to seeing Kim's finished project. It's looking great so far.
Brown Jersey Amber Wood Textile

Sanding block Wood Rectangle Brick Tool

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, John. The tray was my project and I completed it a year ago. The tray below is also my project. Trouble is, I'm 76 years old and was embarrassed to mention that I'm having memory problems and FORGOT how I did these projects. I can't remember if I used a router table.I also made a serving tray 35 years ago in mahagony and dovetail joints and I KNOW I used a router for the hand holds but can't remember how.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
That's okay Kim - there are a few of us here (especially myself) with memory issues. We just have to keep trudging along doing our best with what we've got.
I don't have any photos of it. But, I made myself a portable Paint Box with trays just like the ones you made. They were custom sized to hold pint size cans of paint and other trays to hold 1/2 pint size cans.
the problem with the trays is that I forgot to add a 3/4" wide stick in the ends in the bottom of the tray so when I took the tray out using the handles, I would have room for my fingers. Awkward, but doable. Next time, I'll actually write down the notes that I have stored in my noggin for reference.
Regardless, you've made a couple of really nice trays !!

·
Registered
22,249 Posts
@Kim Metzger Ah, you're still a kid. I turned 79 this year. Happily my memory is holding up OK for now, but my body is showing some wear and tear. I worked with a Dr. John Metzger in Kansas a decade or so ago. You related? He had a really nice family, and has an optometric office just south of Kansas City.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What's the procedure for routing the inside edges of hand holds for a serving tray using router table? I want to use a 1/4" roundover bit.
There's a bit that's shaped like a Diablo which would allow you to do that and if you're sneaky, you could do inside and outside at the same time. Sorry I can't remember the name of the bit, but a search through a 'bit' catalogue should reveal it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Using DesertRatTom"s "clockwise" routing cartoon, I would do this job on a router table. I can't tell your stock thickness but a 1/4" radius roundover with a pilot bearing needs roughly 3/4" stock. Otherwise, the first edge goes fine but the 2nd edge may not have enough stock left for the pilot bearing to ride on. For stock thinner than 3/4", you need a smaller radius bit. If all you want is to soften the edges so it does not hurt your hand, sandpaper will work fine.

If you get bored making tray with vertical sides, try splaying the sides out.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, John. The tray was my project and I completed it a year ago. The tray below is also my project. Trouble is, I'm 76 years old and was embarrassed to mention that I'm having memory problems and FORGOT how I did these projects. I can't remember if I used a router table.I also made a serving tray 35 years ago in mahagony and dovetail joints and I KNOW I used a router for the hand holds but can't remember how.
I can't remember if I have memory problems or not.... but I know sometimes I spend more time trying to figure out how to use the power tools I have than it would take to just do something by hand. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts