Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first stab at Intarsia -- a box with a rose on the lid. I saw one by Robert Ardizzoni and thought it would be a nice mother's day present for my wife. It's made from walnut and maple. She has a bit of trouble getting the lid to sit properly, as it is hardly symmetrical!
I need practice with the flocking, tho. Probably not enough glue to start with. Any thoughts on how to repair it without scraping it all down and redoing it?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
very good...
outstanding...

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Very nice, Dave! I wouldn't touch the flocking, just let her use it. Practice on another piece and then make her something else. Gotta' start somewhere and that's a great start. Make another one and post it here 'cause that one is very nice!

David

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Nicely done Dave!!!

my experience with flocking is s that once its down, its down and any attempts to "repair" just lead to more issues. Spreading the glue evenly seems to be the best way to go about it, then BLAST it with a flocking gun. I use a cheapy cardboard tube with holes in the end and actually it does a really nice job.

Next rose you do, give Bloodwood a try.....

again, nicely done

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Dave the flocking doesn't look too bad. I like the design and I'm sure she will love it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great job, Dave.

When I do flocking, I use TiteBond Original yellow glue and then add acrylic hobby paint in the same color as the flocking. When I do the inside of boxes, I typically pour the material in the box and shake, rattle and roll until the entire surface is covered and as we speak, it has worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.