1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
What a charming book. Very stiff and formal language, the style of that time. It's also fun to note the absence of power tools. I vaguely recall the brace and bit of my first carpenter mentor. You drove screws in with a ratcheting screwdriver. Found some pictures of the tools he had that I used for a couple of summers. He was definitely old school and died of COPD.

That miter saw was fantastic to use. Heavy duty and surprisingly precise. The Brace and Bit was always a workout, especially with larger bits. The ratcheting screwdriver had a way of slipping and bunging up the surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some similar books that I will post later. I have a number of hardback boat building books, going back to just after the turn of the century. Very interesting that they can give instructions on building a boat from scratch, in 5 pages or less, and people did just that. Today I have seen plans for similar boats, and they take up a whole book just by themselves. Makes you wonder if people have gotten dumber, or just not as skilled.

Got 2 of those screwdrivers out in the shop, brace and bits (for drilling holes), and a very nice old Craftsman miter saw, it was apparently used very seldom before I got it, very cheaply.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
941 Posts
Tom,

I have a ratcheting screwdriver that my father gave me many years ago and it still works well. I agree that it slips with the regular straight screws, but I have tried it with Philips and Robertson screws and it works much better. I have a small collection of antique tools displayed on one wall in my workshop and a brace and bit drill is part of that collection also. Using these tools makes one appreciate today's technology and power tools.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot, have a couple of eggbeater drills, a dowel guide (for use with the brace & bits), couple of wooden planes, a Disten saw or two, wood chisels; got another something or other else too, just can't recall just what now. All for use. When the Zombie apocalypse happens I'll be better set to do woodworking than most. I do like working older tools.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Theo, I found this book fascinating. I spent about 2 hours thumbing through it while still logged on at routerforums. I downloaded for further reading...but found I already had it. It was a nice re read, it shows the progression of a woodworking student through his school years.

I would like to see your dowel guide for brace and bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts