Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Will have to watch it later when I have more time. Looks useful plus some of the things on the margin are interesting. Another website to scan!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Harry that's one of the most useful videos I've seen in a while. Thanks so much. I''m gong have to spend a day playing with my speed square.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Speed Square...don't leave home without it...

Each of my aprons has a Swanson in the large pocket...the little blue book is in the tool box...

Thanks for the reminder...might need a spare :)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I love my speed squares (6" and 12") but I obviously haven't been getting full advantage from them. That said, there are still some jobs, like cutting the bird's mouth on a rafter, that I would use my rafter/stair buttons and a standard framing square for.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I see I needed to replace my cheap plastic speed square. The Swanson has more features. However the protractor did work on the cheap plastic was missing pencil notches for drawing lines.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You took the words right out of my fingertips, Gary. My cheap plastic one will be replaced too.
Wow, I just looked on Amazon and found there's a combination pack of the 7" speed square and a 6" combination square for $10.05. I have a combo square already but it's never where I am, so now I will have two.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I use the cheap plastic ($1 each) speed squares from Harbor Freight when I'm making boxes, if the boxes are large enough to fit them, but I grind the 90 deg corner off at about 45 deg so they fit better. I clamp them inside the just assembled box to keep the corners at 90 deg "while the glue dries". The glue doesn't stick to them very well, so they are easy to get back out, and are much cheaper than the Rockler and Woodpecker corner clamps I use the real aluminum Swanson Speed Squares for my more important squaring/measuring/angle finding and saw guiding needs.

That's a great video. I learned a few new things about them too. I plan to watch it a few more times. Thanks for posting it, Harry.

Charley

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The 12" ones are the weapon of choice when doing siding, especially vinyl siding which is hard to register a standard square against.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts