Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a welcome surprise. IE7 is much faster than version 6 and if you view several sites on a regular basis as I do you can install tabs to quickly switch between them. I like it, a job well done.

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
I'm not much of an Internet Explorer fan, it isn't very "developer friendly" I much prefer Mozilla Firefox.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
I will 2nd that one Mark :)

I.E.is a Virus maget, more updates than you can shake a stick at :(

I'm not sure if it's just bad code or because so many people use it, because it comes as a default browser in WINDOWS...and the people that write the virus programs know this and write the code to get in the back door. i.e. Messenger (back door) that's open by default in the windows OS by I.E.

Here's link for some free software that will let you close one or two of the back doors.
---------------------
Service Controller XP 2.2.61 it's free stuff

Service Controller XP is a handy interface that allows you to control your Windows (NT/2000/XP) services.
You can instantly see which ones are running and view detailed information about all the standard Windows services.
In addition, the program provides information that lets you decide whether to enable or disable a service.
It prevents you from accidentally disabling critical operating system services and suggest whether to disable a service or not based on the use of your computer (e.g. Default, Gaming, Internet Gateway etc.)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4313.html

Plus read this web page
Besure to click on ea. item it will tell you all about what it's for and sometimews how much ram it pulls.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

OR
http://web.archive.org/web/20040210040410/www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm
-----------------

Bj :)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Mike, I have been using IE7 since I bought this new computer about a year ago now. Like you I think it is very fast. Much more so than the browser I was using with Windows 95 on my old computer. After reading this and much the same on other forums I visit I decided to download the Mozilla Firefox and see what all the hub bub is about. I do like the idea of it being safer. I am testing this for awhile before I make this the default browser but I have been surfing on it all morning and I think it is actually faster than IE7 and if it is more secure all the better. Will let you know what I find but for now I am liking it.
Corey

·
Registered
54 Posts
Corey it is not so much that Mozilla is more secure (but it is somewhat) its more the fact that IE is by far the most popular so hackers focus their attention on it.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I should say the reason I stick with Microsoft products is the same reason I still have AOL on my computer. I often repair problems on computers for a fair number of people. Familiarity with the products and their glitches speeds the repair process. I used to take all the Microsoft tech rep classes given locally. As a result I often have received complimentary software. I had a time bomb version of 2000 a year and a half before release but my pride and joy was my comp copy of XP Professional, Office XP Pro and Visio XP Pro. Free is good.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
That it is Mike! Just fyi here... as I said I downloaded Firefox. I actually think this is much faster and I like the features alot. I use the CoX Security Suite on my computer. I go in and use the Spyware program and check every other day and remove all spyware. With the Mozilla, for whatever reason I have recieved only 1 instance of spyware which is unusual all by itself and I would get 10 instances of this a day before and would remove them. The only one that is making it thru is a spyware program that poses as a Windows alert for spyware and ask you to click and download anti spyware ..... this one it keeps coming back and it installs a little icon on the task bar and tells you your computer is affected. Anyone no how to block that little #@$#@%@@ out so it can't get in. Other than that little [email protected]%^@ no other spyware is getting in.

Corey

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use Ubuntu Linux for my operating system and Direfox for my browser. Since August 2005. No spyware, no viruses ... life is good. :)

If I REALLY need to run a windows program I have WindowsXP installed into a virtual machine. It can do no harm except to itself. And if it gets messed up, I have a "snapshot" that I can recall and be back to a nice clean copy in literally a couple seconds.

life is good

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use both, but like Firefox better the tabbed browsing is great. I watch woodworking channel on one tab, check the router forums on another and check out online wood sites
also In one browser window. Incidentally Firefox has a plugin called faster fox which will greatly increase speed and with the google tool bar has spell check that is a biggggggg help.

Walt

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Just an update on this subject. I have been using Fire Fox now for several weeks in combination with the Service Pack download Bob provided the link for. Where I was getting hits on up to a dozen spyware programs every other day I now have to worry about only one program that sneaks in about once a week. I really like this browser. I was real happy with IE 7 otherwise, I am really happy with Fire Fox. Glad I downloaded it!

Corey

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Yep download Firefox about 2 weeks ago and after seeing these post I installed it tonight. I do believe it is much faster than IE. I also downloaded Thunderbird e-mail and like it as well. Will give it a good run for a month or so to see how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts