Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I've added to my profile, so if you'd like, you can snoop and check me out.
Searching facebook for 'Stilsonscustomcreations' will let you see my work. You'd be able to see my basic skill level and such, if that'd help.

I've recently been getting into hand routing SMALL signs. I found a letter template guide at a yard sale, and I grabbed it, knowing my freehand work is not great, and templates seemed to be the way to go.

---The 'bushings'??? that came with it don't fit my router. (Bosch1617)
Hoping I can still use the template...

If I submit some pics and more detailed questions, do you all think you can point me in the right direction?? Maybe I just need a different base plate, maybe my bushings are just garbage.

----Tomorrow, I can submit pics of what I have and more details. Here is my only 'big' sign, to give you an idea of where I'm headed, and where I'm at so far.
(Customer painted the people, I did everything else)

Enjoying the process, but it's a challenge for sure!

THANKS for reading to the end!

Dan Stilson

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum,Dan
You can change base plate to received PC guides or Bosch makes guides if you have right base plate I believe that the plunge base works with their guides it is one or the other, the old memory not what it used to be.
Someone here will know for sure.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Reactions: Danman1957

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-------First, since I'm new, I have no idea how to update this so that everyone that has commented can see new info that I am posting. Maybe you will all get a notification that I have posted a reply? If there is a better way, please advise!-------

I see things about the template being threaded.
My templates (I think that's what the plastic circles are called?) are not threaded. So, if I get the two-piece template suggested, maybe I would have to buy , threaded guides? I'm going to try and attach pictures of what I actually have, and hopefully you all can tell me where to go from here! I see Amazon has a seven or eight piece, and while I don't think I need any of the extra stuff at this time, maybe I would wish I had it for later use? For now, let me post pictures of the guides I have. Maybe they are just kind of junk, I don't really know! All I know is they would definitely will not fit on my router base!

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Dan there is a feature you can set that will notify you when someone has posted in a thread you are participating if if you choose to set it that way. Some of us do and others don't, they just keep an eye on the forum and see if there are new posts. In the Classic screen version I find this very easy to do as threads with new posts since I last looked are in bold print.

Those bushings are made for a specific router base and I'm not sure which one. Sometimes there is one in the set which allows the use of the standard 1 3/16" guide bushes but there isn't one in the photo. I have some like it but for 2 screws to hold it on my bases instead of 3 (Hitachi routers). You should be able to find an adapter plate for that router without much trouble if those don't fit your base. Then you'll need a set of guide bushes like the ones in the link I posted previously.

Reactions: Daniel Stilson

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Dan
Here is a utube video may answer some questions

Reactions: Daniel Stilson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!!!! Went to lowes, got a baseplate and bushings. So, that is solved. Now trying to do lettering, poorly. Actually nicked two of my letters. I 'think' I need a better set up for my letter guide and I 'think' I need longer bits. So, I'm going to read more, watch more videos and go from there. Thanks again.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Dan. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Just curious, which baseplate did you get at Lowes? Milescraft markets a very good universal baseplate, and a good assortment of their "twist-lock" bushings. The important thing, no matter which baseplate you use, is to make sure it is centered on your router bit. If it's not, then it won't cut in the right spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts