Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I came across this forum while searching for a router manual. I'm a DIY person, taking after my father and grandmother. I'm a firm believer in "waste not, want not." What used to be a wood box spring mattress is now a good-sized rabbit hutch for my Flemish Giant rabbits. About the only thing I will NOT recycle is toilet paper-LOL! Since my grandchildren are growing in number, I have been making them gifts by hand. This year, I'm thinking of making the girls jewelry boxes. Any ideas of what to make for boys (ages 5, 13, 18)? Out of 14 grandkids, only 3 are boys-LOL! The past years I have knitted them hats, scarfs and mittens (one year I made a blanket for each of them). I can't wait to play around with my new/used router, making gifts they will use. One of my granddaughter's was married a week ago. I am thinking of making a plaque for them? Anyone know where I could find templates for letters/numbers? Enough rambling on....

Have a great day everyone!!!
Dianne
:wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I found a manual on here right away. It is for a different model but essentially the same as mine. I was able to see that I am missing 1. the set screw and 2. the clamping wing nut on my router. No big deal to find and replace. I will be checking out all the info available on here!

Thanks again everyone!
Dianne

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you have the spec's on the set screw and the wing nut, you might be able to get them at the local hardware store or industrial supply house. Our local Ace hardware store has fasteners that the big box stores don't carry.
For the little one, an animated pull toy would be cute. Do a search here and the sister website, Woodworking Talk. Lots of toys and items for the family.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Hi Diane. Consider treasure boxes for the boys, some kind of boy design, superhero? Similar to the jewel boxes, but guy colors and finish. For older boys, not sure, mostly they're interested in girls...LOL

For the wood, a few people have checked into local cabinet shops to buy or even get free off cuts of premium wood. Your router in a table (which you can easily make using instructions posted here), can be turned into a jointer so you can flatten and glue together random pieces to make larger chunks. You can also look for a decent quality hand plane which is an excellent way to flatten and fit material. The secret to hand planes is to set them up properly, which is done fairly easily with various grits of sand paper. The same sharpening method works for chisels. Look up Wicked Sharp on YouTube, and tuning up planes as well.

For cutting small stuff, consider a Japanese pull saw with a stiffener on the top edge. It will give you precise, fast, smooth cuts, and square cuts if you use some kind of guide to keep it square to the work piece. I'm presuming you're resourceful and will find these kinds of tools on the cheap.

You sure came to the right place!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Dianne. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome. Did you leave the springs in the mattress/hutch to give the bunnies a bit of bounce ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.