Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to routing. Got myself a combination plunge/fixed base router from Rona and a couple of assortments of bits in 1/4 and 1/2 shank sizes.
My next project was to setup my dovetail jig, until I found out my brass guide was too deep!
(I'm a used electrician, so I'm used to things not working out!)
I could use some advise on what bits should be considered essential for general use. Does anyone know what Bob Rosendahl's 5 essential bits are?
****chathamite*****

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi chathamite

If you are using a standard BRASS guides you can grind it down just a bit but with care :)
oN THE SIDE of the wheel or on a belt sander,just get your hole saws out and find the right size for your guide and cut it just a bit smaller than the guide then screw it in, you can use just about any type of wood to make a jig to hold the guide because it will get HOT when you rework it and you need something to hold on . :)

Then just take a edge remer or some fine sand paper and remove the sharp edge,NOT a file.

I don't see a list for "5 essential bits are?" but I do see where he listed 9 of them.

Bobs Choice Bit Set (9)

http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RBIT-RBST-&product=BCB92003

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Chathamite

Welcome to the router forum.com!!! :D :D

If you search the Off Topic Discussion thread, you will find the voting booth, where members have voted on their most popular router bits and provided their comments.

See http://www.routerforums.com/voting-booth/1865-most-commonly-used-router-bit.html

Take a good look through previous postings and you will find many answers to questions you haven't even asked yet!

Hope you enjoy this forum!!!!

:cool: :cool: Ric :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome chathamite, to the router forums. I liked the "used electrician". I know how you feel. When ever possible buy bits with a 1/2" shank. Be "SAFE" and enjoy routing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bobj3
Thanks for the good advice. I never considered the heat build up, but I guess that would quickly be painfully apparent! But then as an electrician, I've learned to thrive on abuse.

chathamite

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
You're Welcome chathamite

My son is a electrician and he is always taking about the abuse playing with HOT wires :) :) LOL, I ask him why not turn off the power 1st and he said sometimes you can't. LOL

Then I said I guess you will need to learn to live with the abuse then ..
He likes to get zap now and then he said LOL, electricians. :)

Bj :)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Would Chatamite be a reference to Chatam, ONT?

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hey chathamite, welcome. I'm just down the road from you in Windsor.

Brian

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
If we keep getting all these members from Ontario we will end up with our own chapter of Possum Lodge...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts