Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and haven't used my routers that much, a Sears portable plus a small Delta router/shaper table model. I am considering using my table router for joining some plywood together, using a slot cutter and some 1/4" plywood splines that I will cut from my table saw. I don't have a biscuit cutter, but it still seems that I would get a stronger joint using a slot cutter and splines. I would appreciate any thoughts comments or hints for this job. If I can do a good joing job with this technique I may tackle making a large octogon poker table. I got the plans from an on line site.

I also am interested in being able to round over the ends of a hand rail. I saw in one of the forum threads a where one of the members made a jig for rounding over dowel ends up to 1 inch in diameter. I don't know if bits are available to do 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch dowels such as are used for hand rails that is dowels with a lengthwise flat for mounting. Any thoughts or comments for this would be appreciated.

I am a retired old F**t but never seem to have the time I want to work in my shop which is of the size a capacity that I wished I had 30 or 40 years ago.

Best regards,
Peohguy

·
Official Greeter
20,234 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Plywood splines seem to be an easy and useful way to join two boards together. Some people claim that the benefit is in the alignment of the two boards and the strength still comes from the glue used on the boards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James,
Good to hear from you, I really didn't know how active these forums were since a lot of replys to threads and strings :)^)] are 2003, 2004 and 2008. It's great to see some activity out there.
A question about glues. Since I discovered gorilla glue I have been using it a lot. Since it expands when it cures it seems like a good glue to use when the fit is somewhat sloppy, but I wood :) think that you don't want too much expansion since air, bubbles in the expanded glue, isn't a very strong binder. I have seen references to a glue brand called Python (on a public broadcast channel on wood working) which is the same type of glue as Gorilla but desn't expand as much. Have you had any experience with it?

·
Official Greeter
20,234 Posts
I only use PVA (white or yellow wood glue).

I have not needed Gorilla type glue to date.

·
Registered
223 Posts
While I always keep a little bottle of Gorilla glue around for fixing odd ball stuff I have yet to see any useful application in wood working. gorilla glue expands and foams which was great when my visiting daughter busted a plastic foot on her over sized travel briefcase that had pull up handles and wheels. the gorilla glue foamed into the interior cavities of the molded leg and after being clamped all night I simply trimmed the excess foam away and three years later now she still uses her travel bag.

If you can get TiteBond III in your neck of the woods, it would be excellent for the gluing you describe after years of the white and yellow aliphatic resin glues which are stronger then wood I switched to Titebond III which is water resistant and gives you a little slower set time " more work time" . I'm on my 4th bottle. Any of the wood glues are stronger than wood assuming you good surface contact even thin coat of glue on both side surfaces, clamp and allow set and dry time. Save you Gorilla glue for steel to plastic or sticking a piece of rusted fender back on your car :)....

Good luck with the table, post a picture here and there along the way and when finished.

·
Official Greeter
20,234 Posts
Python Glue seems to be another type of 'super glue". - 'Cyanoacrylate'

Python Glue 352

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.