Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Routerites,
I've joined the forum to see if someone among you could sort out some confusion for our new shop.

I'm a recent graduate of a woodworking program, and setting up a woodshop from the ground up.

On the recommendation of Fine Woodworking magazine, I've purchased a 3.25 hp Triton router, to use more or less fixed in a router table. That router was chosen because its depth and bit change functions can be reached from the table top -- or at least that's what the promotion said.

Once installed, we've discovered it doesn't work that way. The bit height adjustment has too much play unless it is locked down, and the lock can only be reached by removing the router from the table.

Kreg tech support says there is no fix for this problem. They'll return our money. So we feel misled. Question for the forum: Is there a router out there that can genuinely be used in our homemade router table, and be adjusted from above the table?

Thanks everybody.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Frank, the Triton is the best deal for the money. If you are not happy with it you may want to opt for a router lift. In this case I would suggest the Excalibur which is a very impressive model. Roland Johnson of FWW uses it in the router class he is presenting at The Woodworking Shows. For the motor in the lift I suggest the Milwaukee 5625-20. Adding a Musclechuck to this makes changing bits much quicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank, the Triton is the best deal for the money. If you are not happy with it you may want to opt for a router lift. In this case I would suggest the Excalibur which is a very impressive model. Roland Johnson of FWW uses it in the router class he is presenting at The Woodworking Shows. For the motor in the lift I suggest the Milwaukee 5625-20. Adding a Musclechuck to this makes changing bits much quicker.
Thank you, Mike, for the good advice. Great to join this forum and so soon see a benefit.
Onward and upward.
Frank

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hi Frank, really pleased to see you join the community, welcome to Router Forums!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Frank, I just got my Triton a few weeks ago & have been playing with a bunch of scraps with different bits, have not had any issues with mine in my homemade table. When you say you cannot lock the router after setting bit up, is your router in an encloesd cabinet where you cannot access the lock lever?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both the Triton TRA001 and Milwaukee 5625-20 require the lock be unlocked to adjust from above the table, and relocked when the bit height is correct. Vibration during operation will change the height, (lower).
Both manufactures will confirm this.
A lift is the only solution to what you are wanting.
If you have the router in a table without an access door to the lock you'll need to address that.

Ken

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Ken, my suggestions was: "For the motor in the lift I suggest the Milwaukee 5625-20."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Triton false advertising

Yes, you're right, one has to re-lock after adjusting bit height. Which defeats the purpose of the above table adjustment. We designed and built the router table before we learned about this situation -- and I honestly feel Triton led us on with their advertising . . . and that FWW magazine, which I usually trust, neglected to mention this point in their review. They gushed about the Triton. And that's why I bought it, specifically for the table.

Other posts in this forum have mentioned a Bosch router with above-table adjustments. Any experience with that?

Thanks for your post.

Both the Triton TRA001 and Milwaukee 5625-20 require the lock be unlocked to adjust from above the table, and relocked when the bit height is correct. Vibration during operation will change the height, (lower).
Both manufactures will confirm this.
A lift is the only solution to what you are wanting.
If you have the router in a table without an access door to the lock you'll need to address that.

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like the lift suggestion doesn't take into account that the fence has to be moved to get at the height adjustment locking lever. If you're sneaking up on a cut with tiny incremental height adjustments, that's a lot of fussing with the fence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.