Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all: I'm a new member of the forum. I have a question relating to workshop ventilation.

I'm walling off part of my garage for a dedicted shop. The garage is a "tuck-under" and is directly below a family room. I know how to insulate for noise, have a window in the shop area and will supplement with a exhaust fan.

Here is my concern/question: My wife is very sensitive to volitile fumes (finishing/paint/stain). Does anyone have some good suggestions about how I can "seal off" the shop from the rest of the house as I wall it in?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Greg

Plastic works well but it's best to do it outside, don't want to tick off the BOSS :)

=========

Hello all: I'm a new member of the forum. I have a question relating to workshop ventilation.

I'm walling off part of my garage for a dedicted shop. The garage is a "tuck-under" and is directly below a family room. I know how to insulate for noise, have a window in the shop area and will supplement with a exhaust fan.

Here is my concern/question: My wife is very sensitive to volitile fumes (finishing/paint/stain). Does anyone have some good suggestions about how I can "seal off" the shop from the rest of the house as I wall it in?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Greg and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

I would recommend out of doors if possible, I keep my shop at a negative air pressure compared to the house when I can which is most of the time.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You might take a look at the ventilation systems and construction methods that are used for spray-booth operations.

I also saw a DIY sort of venting system in a magazine a while back. It used a large, high-volume box-style fan driven by a separate, protected motor on a pulley and v-belt (concentrated combustible fumes and sparking motor brushes aren't a good combination). He had it arranged above a window that he could open, then lowered the fan into position for operation.

Remember, too, that you'll need an air intake source of equal or greater volume than the exhaust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Outside is my first choice, but not a year round option in Minnesota. (although is is a balmy 36 today!)

Negative air pressure, and paint booth ventilation is where I'll do some research now.

thanks again.

Greg

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Hello Greg and welcome to the RouterForums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts