Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am Raf from Canada, thanks for the add!

I have recently started working with composites (Fiberglass, Carbon Fibre, Industrial Design clay and so on) and I am looking to add a CNC to my workshop to work faster, more efficient and most importantly, more precisely. However, I am completely new to this world, so I would be extremely grateful if anyone could point me to where I should start, such as what program I should use, what is an affordable but good CNC and whatever could help me on this journey.

I would be using CNC to produce smaller parts made out of clay, cut carbon fibre plates and so on, nothing bigger than your day-to-day chair.

Thanks in advance.

Raf

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Raf and welcome. It`s best to post another thread in the CNC sub forum with your question as many of the members don`t read the introduction threads.

Reactions: Rafael Piccoli

·
Registered
205 Posts
Greetings to a fellow Canuck and welcome.

While I don't have any CNC machine or related knowledge, I have worked on and off with f/glass, plastics and CF since the early 90s in the context of car audio system installation and fabrication.

Couple of things to consider: F/glass and it's dust and fumes during epoxy mixing/application/hardening is severely poisonous and dangerous. Carbon fiber even more so, as are the epoxies and resins attached to making items from these. Sanding, grinding and cutting also produces these toxic particulates (and fumes if you burn them) so a respirator is an absolute necessity IMHO.

I have found the smell to be less than nice in the house (lol) and cured carbon will rapidly wear out sharp tools, not sure about carbide but likely so. Cured carbon is very strong but also usually brittle (not always) so care must be taken to not shatter the work piece or the cutting tool. Slivers etc into the skin are also not medically recommended lol.

I'm currently building a new instrument cluster for my car and will be using a pre-made 1/16" thick carbon sheet as a face on the 1/4" mdf/hardboard panel holding the gages. Will be cutting it to size with my Jigsaw, the openings with various Milwaukee hole saws and quite possibly on the router table. Will post a separate build thread.

Please keep us informed of your project(s) and what you discover as you're doing these complex builds.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome Raf,

What part of our great country do you live in ?
We have members from sea to sea and in between.
Many posts about CNC work and software and design are seen here. I'm sure you will enjoy the friendly atmosphere.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Paul,

Thanks! You are right, a mask and good ventilation is definitely important when working with composites.

I'd also love to see the end result of your carbon fibre part. I am currently making a Carbon Fibre ducktail for a BMW E93 (Still on the plug)

If you'd like to share any composite recommendations as well I'd love to hear more.

Cheers

·
Registered
966 Posts
Raf,

Thanks for the response. I live a little over an hour East of you in Western Quebec near the Ontario border. I have family in Nepean and I travel through Ottawa frequently for work. Maybe one day when the Pandemic is history, we can grab a coffee.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Paul,

Thanks! You are right, a mask and good ventilation is definitely important when working with composites.

I'd also love to see the end result of your carbon fibre part. I am currently making a Carbon Fibre ducktail for a BMW E93 (Still on the plug)

If you'd like to share any composite recommendations as well I'd love to hear more.

Cheers
I'm a Toronto boy, live near YYZ, have some family/friends in the Ottawa area (up on the river north of Kanata); tons of woodworkers and car stereo guys out that way too.

Are you using a vacuum form table for the ducktail? I built a table for that year ago but couldn't get it to work properly; so the original instrument panel wasn;t flat. It was made with real CF tho - this project was from 1993. I still have the panel and it's unattractive, wrinkled surface lol.

My current Mustang now sports a real carbon adjustable wing from G-Stream, the now defunct supplier to Multimatic Motorsports -who built the Mustang GT4 race cars (no VIN's) here in Markham, ON. The predecessor to these were the Boss 302S and 302R race cars; my wing came from one of those, as did my CF front splitter; also have a Maier Racing CF hood going on this year. See below and sorry about the hijack. :grin:

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
G'day, Rafael. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Rafael Piccoli

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a Toronto boy, live near YYZ, have some family/friends in the Ottawa area (up on the river north of Kanata); tons of woodworkers and car stereo guys out that way too.

Are you using a vacuum form table for the ducktail? I built a table for that year ago but couldn't get it to work properly; so the original instrument panel wasn;t flat. It was made with real CF tho - this project was from 1993. I still have the panel and it's unattractive, wrinkled surface lol.

My current Mustang now sports a real carbon adjustable wing from G-Stream, the now defunct supplier to Multimatic Motorsports -who built the Mustang GT4 race cars (no VIN's) here in Markham, ON. The predecessor to these were the Boss 302S and 302R race cars; my wing came from one of those, as did my CF front splitter; also have a Maier Racing CF hood going on this year. See below and sorry about the hijack. :grin:
Sorry for the late response, I somehow forgot to check for new notifications. Build looks great, loving the wing! I suppose its mainly a track toy for you?

Yes, I have still been using vacuum infusion and not oven cured type yet. Like you experienced, I also got some failed experiments while starting, though finally adjusting myself and getting proper finish. Let me know if you need help with anything, I will try my best to help.

And if you or the mustang ever come down to Ottawa let me know!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.