Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have occasionally happened upon the forums here over the years and finally decided to glean a little more knowledge from the place.
My relative experience is that of a hobbyist for the most part.
I have a vintage 1/2" 1/2hp shaper in addition to( 2) 1/4" routers in small entry level tables, and a handheld router of the same lower power/small collet.
I usually go to the shaper because I'm fond of old tools like that, and I've spent some time and money accumulating the three wing cutters. One day I will get a heavy duty shaper but I can best do the most work with a router until I get more time, space and money.
Today I decided to get a little more router and ordered a Bosch 1617evs, for whatever that's worth, I will soon see.
Thanks for having me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’m assuming your first name is Ted ? If you get a chance you can update your profile with a first name :)

I suspect you’ll be happy with your new router ,as Bosch seems to be very a very popular choice here

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Ted

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Glad you joined the fun. The 1617 is a mighty fine router, in or out of the table. I hope you bought the kit with the plunge base included. It's far cheaper than buying the plunge base later. There are lots of situations where a plunge works better such as dados, stopped dados, signs. At any rate, this is a great place to visit, and more than a few members seem to live here.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I worked for a place that had places that did tool repair. They wouldn't say what was best but did say that they rarely saw Bosch tools.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Welcome aboard, Ted.

I have some old and some new routers. All get used. Two are in a table with different bits - a flush trim bit and a small round-over bit.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all.
MT Stringer that is a very interesting adjustable height table.

Just made this, I finally joined the forum a couple weeks ago because I was going to get a new router and put it in a simple table.
It's a Bosch 1617evs with an MLCS mounting plate ($13) in a repurposed table I had, and I had a remnant of a library table top from making a table saw extension.

I will add a pic of the little shaper who will get a break.

Thanks for having me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts