Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all......I am new to this group. Very happy to be here. I just started my woodworking a few days back. Now in the process of getting tools and making a woodworking table. I have a question.....
I bought a new paddle safety switch for my router. I connected the switch, when i turn it ON, only the router light turns ON but not the motor. Then I manually turned the router switch OFF and ON and the motor runs. Why is my router motor not running when turned ON from the switch. On the other hand when the router is running, and I press the OFF from the switch, the router stops running. So basically only the OFF button from the switch is working not the ON button. Is there any problem with the router or the Switch? I tried the paddle switch from two different brands. Its the same issue in both case. Is there something i can do to the router motor? OR is it something related to the wiring in the switch? My router is a 2 1/2 HP, 14A motor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
welcome. it would help show pictures in what your problem is also the brand and model of the router. also the paddle switch the you are using.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,535 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
G'day and welcome to the forum. Maybe your paddle switch is only supplying power as is you plugged it into a live wall socket? still need to switch on at the router?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned I would guess that the router needs to be in the on position after being connected to the foot switch before engaging the foot switch to be on. Without the switch does the light come on when just plugged in or do you need to turn the router on? What happens if you engage the foot switch on/off/on after plugging it in and have the router switch manually turned on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the "Maximum" company, they said the router is automatic switch ON protected. So the paddle switch cannot switch the router ON. Is there any way the router can be relieved from this automatic protection. Can this be removed from the router?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Designed for SAFETY... Imagine the router sitting on the bench... then jumping onto your lap when you plug it in... Ouch! The light indicates that it's plugged in, and gives you a visual hint to unplug for bit changes etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts