Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all --

My name is Ben. As you see from my screen name, I'm located in Cypress Texas (slightly West of Houston). I'm a retired mechanical engineer. I have a garage workshop containing a number of the more common power woodworking tools.

I'm still a woodworking novice working on smaller projects. I tend to repeat the same projects several times to learn from (and avoid) the sins of the last attempt. My first pass is generally firewood quality. By attempt number three my wife tells me my finished project looks pretty good.

One of these days I'll built a piece that satisfies me. In the meantime it's read, study make jigs and sawdust.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum! Keep making sawdust, and when you do that project your happy with, post some pictures! We would like to see them.

I am my own worst critic also!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello all --

My name is Ben. As you see from my screen name, I'm located in Cypress Texas (slightly West of Houston). I'm a retired mechanical engineer. I have a garage workshop containing a number of the more common power woodworking tools.

I'm still a woodworking novice working on smaller projects. I tend to repeat the same projects several times to learn from (and avoid) the sins of the last attempt. My first pass is generally firewood quality. By attempt number three my wife tells me my finished project looks pretty good.

One of these days I'll built a piece that satisfies me. In the meantime it's read, study make jigs and sawdust.
G'Day & Welcome Ben,
Never say that your handiwork is firewood quality.
Always start out with the simplier projects & work up from there.
We all started slowly and then improved while trying new things.
looking forward to the photos of your handiwork.
Cheers, crowie

·
Premium Member
20,375 Posts
I was glad to read your post because I'm also pretty new at woodworking. I like your idea of making the same project several times. I think you'd learn a lot about fine tuning your skills and work habits. Where I keep messing up is in little things, like assuming my tools are completely tuned up before making a cut and they're not. Not using jigs to align things absolutely dead on so things don't quite line up perfectly. I've decided that making things like tool stands (using mdf) is really the skill builder type project I need to do a lot of before tearing into very expensive hard woods. It just takes time and attention as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was glad to read your post because I'm also pretty new at woodworking. I like your idea of making the same project several times. I think you'd learn a lot about fine tuning your skills and work habits. Where I keep messing up is in little things, like assuming my tools are completely tuned up before making a cut and they're not. Not using jigs to align things absolutely dead on so things don't quite line up perfectly. I've decided that making things like tool stands (using mdf) is really the skill builder type project I need to do a lot of before tearing into very expensive hard woods. It just takes time and attention as far as I can tell.

Tom

I don't really refer to my first attempt as firewood. I prefer to refer to the project as a 'Forest Reduction Study'

:laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts