Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's gotten worse. My trusty old Craftsman 113 series TS is very sick. Just running a piece of pine thru it will cause the blade to actually stop. Can back it off a little and cut a little further. When I start it up it "growels a little and then smooths out. Start cutting and the noise comes back and the blade can be stopped with a little bit of pressure. I took the belt off - the motor runs smooth and quiet. Put a new belt on and that didn't help. The noise sounds like it's coming from under the table. The blade has no play in it whatsoever and it all looks good. I got to have a TS so until I either get this one fixed or replaced I may be forced (shudder at the thought) to get a contractors saw from a big box store. Any ideas or suggestions? This has been a great old saw.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,358 Posts
Sounds bad.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
look to the motor...
if it it is see about repairing it or replacing it it w/ a motor that ISN'T Asian...

Attachments

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the belt off the motor runs very smooth and quiet. The noise is under the table where the trunion is.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,786 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does just the blade stop, or does the motor shaft stop as well?
Motor works fine with no load, but has now power once speed drops. I think if it was a saw problem you would have mentioned smoking belts.
No smoking belts. When the blade stops the motor "binds" as well. Would low power from the motor cause the noise under the table? Once wound up it runs great but the noise comes back when cutting or stopping and starting.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Is this a contractor saw with the motor hanging out the bak or a direct driver with motor in the cabinet.

If it is the motor get the next size larger when you replace it you will never regret it.

Are you on 120v. or 220v.?
Herb

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Motor hangs out the back. Belt driven. One of the good ones. Don't really want to get rid of it. But, I am on 110.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
With the belt off, spin the blade (using a stick to protect your fingers). It should run freely and slow down very gradually.
I think yours wont. If the bearing(s) on the blade spindle are blocked with sawdust the blade will stop quickly, or you will hear the grinding noise.

Most saw motors are underpowered, using the centrifugal force of the blade to keep going. What you have is a brake on the blade stopping it reaching full speed.
The fact the motor stops when the blade does shows that the motor is underpowered.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If that's the case, can I blow it out, or do I have to take it apart and possibly replace bearings? It worked great until just recently. The problem was sudden, at least it seemed to be. And there was a lot of sawdust under the table.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't afford the Grizz I want (and it's heavy). Besides, this one is set up in the basement, and I kinda like the old girl. Real Iron, motor, and belt!!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Most likely bearings or lots of crud in them. Spin the blade without the motor and listen to it.

As a precaution, take it apart and give rhe ole girl a good cleaning...you will fi,d the problem doing that.

If it's bearings, you will find replacements even if not by Sears number...all bearings are numbered and can be found by size of ID or Od and width

Give it a shot...surprise...

And if then you also find the motor is bad, you can replace it.

Had you changed the blade...? Put washers back in properly...? Any signs of rubbing anywhere...?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
test the motor before you run off on a tangent...

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
834 Posts
This is what we if the Army called a "When I!"
now when I finally found and visited my dad after over 20 years "he and my mom divorced while I was in the service.
After our visit, he felt he needed to give me something. He took out into his back yard and there under a sheet of heavy plastic, was a "Craftsman TS.
It was just a complete block of rust from being outdoors in Illinois for several years.
It was super heavy and blocky. It was a 24 inch square.
I carried it back to Texas and cleaned it up.
I used it on many job sites and the main problem I had with it was the bearings kept burning out.
Plus the brushes would not last very long.
The guide for it was broken and I used a piece of 2x4 clamped to the top.
The first time I went to Sears for bearings. We had to search the microfiche to find the parts numbers.
They were in just 2 digits, like number 52 and number 62.
This was a very old TS.
I finally gave it to a neighbor and he fixed it up again and kept it until he died. No idea of what became of it then.

·
Premium Member
Frank
314 Posts
John,

I have a 1948 craftsman TS. It was my Dads. I replaced the original motor with a 2HP Baldor. With a Forest blade, I can cut any wood that I want. The only problem is that the motor housing is larger than the original. When I tilt the blade to 45 degree, the motor housing is above the table. It limits the width of wood that I can cut, but has not been a major problem. If you do replace the motor, size of motor housing can be a problem.

Frank

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's gotten worse. My trusty old Craftsman 113 series TS is very sick. Just running a piece of pine thru it will cause the blade to actually stop. Can back it off a little and cut a little further. When I start it up it "growels a little and then smooths out. Start cutting and the noise comes back and the blade can be stopped with a little bit of pressure. I took the belt off - the motor runs smooth and quiet. Put a new belt on and that didn't help. The noise sounds like it's coming from under the table. The blade has no play in it whatsoever and it all looks good. I got to have a TS so until I either get this one fixed or replaced I may be forced (shudder at the thought) to get a contractors saw from a big box store. Any ideas or suggestions? This has been a great old saw.
honesttjohn, My saw that I don't use is 113.298051, need a new capacitor. The motor is inside. If you were close to Texas, it would help, because I could get it to you, and repair for $13.00 and use. Oh well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
John what kind of pulleys has the TS? I also have a Craftsman TS and had similar issues, I changed the aluminum pulleys to cast iron machined pulleys and fixed the problem. :wink:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts