Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am presently volunteering in a workshop that have a General I-Carver Model 40-913. Model to carve are generated using the I-Picture software. I find that this software limits what I would like to do. The software generates "carving" files having a .gee extension.

I use "Onshape" CAD software to design parts. I can also generate the G-code file (.nc extension) to manuacture these parts using the "Kiri:Moto" software (an add-on to Onshape).

Could someone tell me if I can use G-code files with the General I-Carver Model 40-913?

Thank you very much,
Jean

·
Administrator
David
3,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jean! I'm not familiar with that so unfortunately can't answer your question. I use Fusion 360 and Mach4 and the extension I get use is *.tap. Can you search the Onshape help files to find this out... maybe someone else who can answer your question will be along shortly.

David

·
Registered
369 Posts
Try opening a .gee file using notepad and take a look. They may be g-code files just using the .gee extension. If so note the first few and last few lines (the setup and shutdown lines). You will need to make sure your g-code files use these same instructions. After that you may need to just rename your g-code files to match. All g-code is plain text files, no matter the extension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Richard! I will try this sometime next week and will let you know of the outcome.

Have a nice weekend.
Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good evening Richard,

Following your advice I was able to control our General I-Carver CNC machine using a G-Code file. I simply changed the .nc extension of the file by a .gee extension.

Thank you very much for your guidance,
Jean

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glad to hear it worked. I’m sure that this will greatly increase the versatility of the machine. Profile and vector carving can be much quicker than raster carving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Richard,

I hope that you can help me on this one. I am experiencing difficulties with the software (KIRI:MOTO) I'm presently using to generate G-code from a CAD 3D drawing made in Onshape.

Would you be aware of a good sofware (ideally free) that could generate G-code from a .dxf file?

My research made on Internet didn't help me much.

Your advice would really be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Jean

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!

I am at the same point trying to use Onshape to Create a CAD file and Kiri-MOTO to create tool paths and export G-code. Which machine did you select that the I-Carver worked with? I know i can change the extension from .nc to .gee. But i do not have a copy of I -picture to compare the file output.

Any help would be fantastic!

Kyle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I am presently volunteering in a workshop that have a General I-Carver Model 40-913. Model to carve are generated using the I-Picture software. I find that this software limits what I would like to do. The software generates "carving" files having a .gee extension.

I use "Onshape" CAD software to design parts. I can also generate the G-code file (.nc extension) to manuacture these parts using the "Kiri:Moto" software (an add-on to Onshape).

Could someone tell me if I can use G-code files with the General I-Carver Model 40-913?

Thank you very much,
Jean
Hi,

Thank you very much,
Jean
I-Picture software please

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,298 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I am at the same point trying to use Onshape to Create a CAD file and Kiri-MOTO to create tool paths and export G-code. Which machine did you select that the I-Carver worked with? I know i can change the extension from .nc to .gee. But i do not have a copy of I -picture to compare the file output.

Any help would be fantastic!

Kyle

Hey just wondering if you figured this out? I use Fusion, but maybe they are similar....

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,298 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts