Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
If it were that easy, every adrenaline junkie would be doing it. I'll bet he face planted a bunch of times learning to do those stunts - just like every snowboarder, dirt biker or skateboarder.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
if we were meant to fly we'd have wings...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it really that easy? Yes, and no...

I started working on a paragliding rating several years back. I had about 50 flights in before life and work distracted me. If you're learning in a good location and with a good instructor, it is remarkably easy to get started and reasonable in cost. (I can be more specific about where and who if anyone is interested.)

In the other hand, Jean Baptist Chandelier is incredible. Watching him dance with the wind takes my breath away. His precision is mind boggling. I sometimes search out his latest video just to experience the wonder of it.

To give some perspective... One requirement for a P2 rating (minimum level to fly without instructor supervision) is a specific number of flights. Another requirement is to have at least five flights in which you pick a landing point before takeoff, launch from at least 500' above that point, and land less than ten yards from your chosen spot. I've accomplished the precision landing requirement only once despite flying more than double the minimum required flights for the rating. So, when I see him touch and go on tops of posts, skim the ski slope, or hover above the unaware family at the beach... I'm simply breathless.

Thanks for sharing that video. I needed that today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
David
3,572 Posts
Incredible skills and accuracy. I'll bet the outtakes are interesting, 'cause you know he didn't nail every one of those the first time. Just like the guys who do skateboard and bicycle stunts, there are moments when things didn't go quite as planned.

David

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, it's for birds like Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Here's one of my favorites:
I love the connection between what happens at 0:44, 2:29, and 3:36 to 4:00.
From 2:44 to 3:06 makes me smile.
And the precision at 1:40 blows me away.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No, thanks. September, 1969, an E-6 tried to get me to sign up for airborne. I told him that I couldn't see jumping out of a perfectly good airplane that would land 15 minutes after I jumped.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A former next door neighbor's son jumped from a cliff near Nelson, BC a number of years ago. Just as he jumped a downdraft folded his chute and he plunged 100 feet to his death. It's all fun and games until something unexpected happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts