Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not quite. But I thought I’d pique your interest about the upcoming Mechanical Marvel. The major challenge in making these nonsensical things is simplifying the mechanism so you need the fewest moving parts and connections.

I started thinking about this project about 10 months ago, and it sat on the back burner of my brain for a long time because the mechanism was getting too complex, and I couldn’t figure out how to make it work. I had many questions needing answers, and no amount of Irish Holy Water was helping. Well, as it says in my signature, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication,” and I have finally simplified it. Everything now works with one lever and a ratchet gear. The gear will have two pawls controlled by gravity. It couldn’t be simpler. I wonder why it took so long? I guess fortune smiles on those who wait.

What you see in the two photos will be combined to make the final device. Oh, one more thing. There are two clues buried in the text above, for those who want to stretch their imagination.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,709 Posts
It looks like it clicks one tooth at a time. Something like a counting gadget, or if there's a hole on one side, something that moves pictures or numbers into the opening for viewing. Is there some sort of tensioning spring under that brass bar to return the white piece to its stop position after it has pushed down and released a tooth when you pull the lever?

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
There are two clues buried in the text above, for those who want to stretch their imagination.
So are you saying this is a kitchen timer?

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
I’m thinking there’s a little guy lifting a bottle to his mouth , and the cam lowers and raises the bottle?
If it's not you probably gave him an Idea!

Reactions: kp91
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.