Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my dad's old router in the shed and want to clean it up for some basic woodworking. Dad's been gone for about 15 years, so I'm guessing it's at least 20-25 years old. I found a parts list, but haven't even been able to find a picture of it online let alone a manual. Dad always looked after his tools but it does have some rust and has been sitting in the shed since before he passed.

I haven't plugged it in yet, I wanted to check with people who know what they're talking about first. I'm semi-handy, and am fitting out a campervan so if this works it could be really helpful when I get to the cabinets.

I have a few questions:

• Is it worth cleaning up and using?
  • How would you recommend I clean it up?

Thanks in advance

Light Green Gas Auto part Machine
Green Font Gas Electric blue Rectangle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Setting aside any sentimental attachment you might have, I personally wouldn't spend a lot of time in restoring this router. It's powered about the same as current compact routers, and limited to 1/4" bits (or whatever comparable size you have Down Under). It does have the advantage of being a plunge router, but would be more cumbersome to control than the hand grip styled compacts. The plunge posts most likely need some attention to smooth out the rust; I'd try Scotch abrasive pads or fine sandpaper, removing enough to get smooth plunge movement. The other issue is how to insert and remove bits. It isn't obvious to me how one locks the armature shaft while tightening/loosening the collet nut. There may be a push button on the back side, or simply (crudely) inserting a rod into the hole on the shaft above the collet.

If the armature shaft rotates easily by hand, I'd just go ahead and plug it in to see how it sounds; if the motor seems okay, put in the least amount of effort to get it operating. It will never be a powerful or precision tool, but might be enough to get through your campervan build, and other light tasks. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Setting aside any sentimental attachment you might have, I personally wouldn't spend a lot of time in restoring this router. It's powered about the same as current compact routers, and limited to 1/4" bits (or whatever comparable size you have Down Under). It does have the advantage of being a plunge router, but would be more cumbersome to control than the hand grip styled compacts. The plunge posts most likely need some attention to smooth out the rust; I'd try Scotch abrasive pads or fine sandpaper, removing enough to get smooth plunge movement. The other issue is how to insert and remove bits. It isn't obvious to me how one locks the armature shaft while tightening/loosening the collet nut. There may be a push button on the back side, or simply (crudely) inserting a rod into the hole on the shaft above the collet.

If the armature shaft rotates easily by hand, I'd just go ahead and plug it in to see how it sounds; if the motor seems okay, put in the least amount of effort to get it operating. It will never be a powerful or precision tool, but might be enough to get through your campervan build, and other light tasks. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I'll do a few of the things you recommend and see how it goes, and I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out. It does have a button at the back to release the collet nut, although because of the rust I couldn't undo it so I've put a bit of WD40 on that to see if I can get it loose. The shaft turns ok, so I might get the bit out and fire it up. It could be good for making holes if nothing else!

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
I would absolutely fix it up. I wouldn't use it as my primary router, but I would dedicate it to either a flush trim bit or a round over bit. I have usually left my oldest router with a small flush trim bit in it to clean up things without having to change over the bits in my other routers when I'm working on a project. I think it's a great way to keep a memory in your workshop and still have it functional.

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum @LongFellowDeeds .

Just check between the collet and the lock button. Sometimes there is a flat section to fit a thin spanner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.