Router Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
One thing I was wondering, is why people couldn’t incorporate a foot switch to shut their router off and on if your free handing something.
Seems like it would help in some situations where the router doesn’t have an easily accessible switch .
I have used a foot switch often. I bought the one that Lee Valley sells which is a rubber bulb with an air hose that goes to the switch box which you plug the router into. I've found you have to get in the habit of putting the switch under your work and back a little ways so that you can't accidentally step on it but have to purposefully reach a bit to get to it. Most often I use it when I'm outside routing something long on saw horses where there is nothing handy to lay the router down on. The foot switch allows me to hang onto the router until it stops spinning so I can put it down safely. I did accidentally step on the switch a few times until I developed a better work procedure. You can get foot switches which are guarded too which that isn't as much of a problem with.

An added bonus of having a foot switch is that it can be used on a drill press too.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have used a foot switch often. I bought the one that Lee Valley sells which is a rubber bulb with an air hose that goes to the switch box which you plug the router into. I've found you have to get in the habit of putting the switch under your work and back a little ways so that you can't accidentally step on it but have to purposefully reach a bit to get to it. Most often I use it when I'm outside routing something long on saw horses where there is nothing handy to lay the router down on. The foot switch allows me to hang onto the router until it stops spinning so I can put it down safely. I did accidentally step on the switch a few times until I developed a better work procedure. You can get foot switches which are guarded too which that isn't as much of a problem with.

An added bonus of having a foot switch is that it can be used on a drill press too.
Wow I never even thought of using one for the drill press , and there’s many a time when I wished I had some way of turning it off instead of using my nose

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rick, in my opinion, a footswitch is an accident waiting to happen. Not just because you could end up with cut fingers but we all, or at least I have a bad habit of piling things on empty flat surfaces. That might throw things if the switch gets stepped on accidentally. Again that is just my opinion.
I would actually have a series circuit . On my work station I have a decora switch . I’d have that on in order to supply current to the outlet that’s connected to the foot switch .
Of course nothings fool proof

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Guys I’m sure seeing a lot of complaints with the MRP23 not having a very smooth plunge action .
I hope this is because someone hasn’t been diligent about maintenance,and not a design problem ?

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I cancelled the 23 and am keeping the 1617 for a lift . I’m just hearing to many horror stories regarding the 23 , and they were brand new and sticking .
As one persons mentioned , it may not hurt to put some dry lube on the posts regardless of being new .
Never had any sticking issues with my Festool though , so it makes me concerned it’s a design issue

·
Registered
248 Posts
I only had the fixed base so I can't speak to using it as a plunge unit.

Sorry it did not work out for you. Can you get a plunge base for the Porter Cables? They would be heavy but solid. Just don't send them to Denver for service.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I only had the fixed base so I can't speak to using it as a plunge unit.

Sorry it did not work out for you. Can you get a plunge base for the Porter Cables? They would be heavy but solid. Just don't send them to Denver for service.
It’s all good Charlie . I have a Festool 1400 plunge router , but I don’t like the handles all that much , but it works .
I have to get the 1617 to see what all the fuss is about . Wish 8 could actually play with a 23 in store so I could see for myself

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@RainMan 2.0
Rick, you did not reply on your other thread - which model of Makita do you have, with the sloppy plunge?
2301, 0900 and 1101....
they tend to rock/pivot on the plunge from what appears to be a sloppy fit...

Reactions: Biagio

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
@RainMan 2.0
Rick, you did not reply on your other thread - which model of Makita do you have, with the sloppy plunge?
Here it is . Just enough play to be an issue . It’s on a craftsmen circle cutting jig, and I’m hoping the Bosch 1617 base fits ,but I doubt it. They made different plates at the time so that you could use different routers . It’s got the Makita one on it now.

In the last pic you can see where the arrows are pointing , and that’s the area where the play in the plunge took out a little additional material

Attachments

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Wow is Amazon fast . It was supposed to show up on Friday, but Christmas came even earlier.
I have to say although this was intended for under table mounting in an Incra lift , I like the plunge fine adjustment system

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, I read a lot of negative reviews of the 23. I am very fond of my 1617 kit. Bosch does make a special fixed base for the 1617 to be permanently mounted to a router table; it has a Through-base lead screw which can be adjusted from above the table with aT-handled hex key (or a hex driver chucked into your trusty drill or socket driver).

I bought that base for about $50 from Amazon and am very happy with it. As it turns out, it is very easy to swap the motor over to a different base — just flip the lever like all of their bases.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, I read a lot of negative reviews of the 23. I am very fond of my 1617 kit. Bosch does make a special fixed base for the 1617 to be permanently mounted to a router table; it has a Through-base lead screw which can be adjusted from above the table with aT-handled hex key (or a hex driver chucked into your trusty drill or socket driver).

I bought that base for about $50 from Amazon and am very happy with it. As it turns out, it is very easy to swap the motor over to a different base — just flip the lever like all of their bases.
The 1617 does seem easy to remove , a nice system actually. Thanks for the post ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The MRP23EVSK is quite heavy and hard to use as a hand-held router (plunge or fixed base). On the other hand, its motor casing has an uncommon size so it doesn't fit in some of the popular lifts. I regret buying it instead of the 1617 because I use it very rarely when I don't have a choice, and then only for short period of times, and I don't get the cut quality I expect because it's hard to control due to its weight.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I use a pair of them on the Leigh dovetail jig, they're made to order for the job..
but I don't consider the 17 or 23 unwieldy or heavy...

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The MRP23EVSK is quite heavy and hard to use as a hand-held router (plunge or fixed base). On the other hand, its motor casing has an uncommon size so it doesn't fit in some of the popular lifts. I regret buying it instead of the 1617 because I use it very rarely when I don't have a choice, and then only for short period of times, and I don't get the cut quality I expect because it's hard to control due to its weight.
I believe the 23 won’t fit a lift because of the attached guide on the side that provides contact to the switch .
I’ve never used the 23 , but I see it’s heavier than my Festool by over 2.5 pounds .
I basically bought the 1617 for a lift , but I believe it’s probably a good all around router

21 - 38 of 38 Posts