Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Official Greeter
20,255 Posts
I would say it is a thin phenolic laminate to both side of a ply/mdf core. There are many table tops like on the market.

I doubt it would be solid phenolic due to cost.

Phenolic plywood is somewhat of a misnomer as it should more realistically be called “phenolic faced plywood” or “phenolic covered plywood.” The veneer core plywood itself isn’t made of phenolic; it’s generally made of birch. What makes it “phenolic” is that both surface veneers are soaked in phenolic resin before attaching them to the plywood. This creates an extremely stable, smooth, durable, highly water resistant and attractive surface.

These face veneers can either be wood (normally birch), like the core veneers or a thick paper. In either case, they are limited to the core plys under pressure, creating a permanent bond. The actual material doesn’t matter so much, as it is merely the carrier for the phenolic rosin. A thick layer of this is not necessary, as it is nothing more than a coating. If a thicker layer of phenolic were to be used, there would be no additional advantage.

Some people refer to phenolic plywood as “resin impregnated plywood,” although this is an inaccurate description. The only layers of the plywood which are resin impregnated in phenolic plywood are the two face veneers. All the other layers are normal hardwood veneers.

·
Official Greeter
20,255 Posts
If I was going to make a large router table these days, I would use that Xtra Ply or BB ply and laminate it with Laminex.

·
Official Greeter
20,255 Posts
Hi @dwall174 ( Doug), may be Formica in US? Similar product...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts