Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, been away awhile due to health issues, but back at it again. I am still working on my project, and being new to cnc work, I think I am going at it the hard way. I am wanting to draw a project on cut 3d, aspire, whatever is easier for someone who knows very little about computers. What I have found is LUA in Aspire, but I don't know anything about programming, so, my question is, is there a program where someone as simple minded as myself can bring up say ( aspire ) and draw lines and curves with measurements at hand without having to use computer language with (), and contour, and start and end , ect. ect. I grew up too late to have been schooled at this, I just need to draw it out, to scale, and watch it work. Am I asking too much??? All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There are several simple drawing tools to help construct your drawing in VCarve/Cut2D/Aspire. The only thing you need to know Lua for is if you want to create a gadget, and I've never needed to in the last 4 years of using VCarve/Aspire.

Off the top of my head you have straight lines, arcs, curves, circles, ellipses, rectangles, polygons, star shapes, and texture patterns you can create in VCarve/Aspire. Not sure if they are all in Cut2D. You can set up a grid to snap to which helps if your dimensions are likely to all divide by a similar small number. You can also start most primitives, then type in the relative variables to make them exactly/precisely like you want.

I've found the latest versions of Vectric products VERY powerful as drawing tools with NO need to know Lua or any programming language.

4D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You very much 4D, I will check this out. I knew with technology in todays world, something had to be easier, I'm just old and slow to find it. Thank's again.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Welcome back Frank. :)

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Frank,

This is all new to me too (I'm 66). I got Aspire and Jay (CJ Skelton, ex military old codger) got V carve. We both have machines (bought this spring) by the same company (Probotix) and have both managed to grind out a project or two. Check our albums.

It's a little intimidating at first, but with the help of a lot of people here (4D thinker, Scottart, and Bgriggs especially) and watching the Vectric and Legacy Woodworking tutorials, you jump in and start experimenting. I kept my first little nameplate on my album to compare what I've done since.

Actually, it can be a lot of fun seeing what you can do, and a little frustrating at times. But us grumpy old farts just have to stay in the race, not worrying about winning it.

HJ

Surprises himself sometimes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts