Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok besides the obvious :grin:

Guys most males would be searching threw girlie pictures but I'm going threw the
" Wanted! pictures of your router table!" thread for the bizzillionth time .
Wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about or is it just old age ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Woodworking tools are a lot like prostitutes.

They are expensive but as long as you show them a little respect and take care of them, they will do their job without a complaint for years to come with no expectation or demands.

Subliminally, you have fallen in love with the perfect mate.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Ok besides the obvious :grin:

Guys most males would be searching threw girlie pictures but I'm going threw the
" Wanted! pictures of your router table!" thread for the bizillionth time .
Wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about or is it just old age ?
Nothing wrong with you other than old age. At this stage in my life I'd rather have a good meal than......

·
Registered
928 Posts
Do you REALLY want someone to answer that? ;)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: ksidwy and old55

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Don't feel bad Rick, I am stacked up until 2017 with projects/tool & product reviews to do.

You should be fine as long as Rod Stewarts "Do you think I'm sexy?" doesn't run through your head while looking at the tables.

(You know it will now that I mentioned it) :jester:

Reactions: Jack Wilson

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
20-21 whatever it takes :laugh2:
remember this thread????...
http://www.routerforums.com/diy-renovation/56113-insulating-your-shop.html

Mooney wall...

Mountain winters here can be brutal... We almost have the market cornered on winter and we try to plan for the worst..
We have adopted a system of insulating here that is proving its self time and time again...
The framed (2x6 or 2x8 ext here) shop/home walls are done up in what is called the Mooney wall...

If the walls are uninsulated to start w/ fill the cavities w/ unfaced FG batts...
Use Cellulose if you desire more R value...

If they are already insulated w/ faced FG leave it be... If its FGB w/ plastic VB take down the plastic, leave the existing unfaced FG batts and add horizontal closed cell rigid extruded polystyrene board (blue or pink polystyrene but not the white Styrofoam) at least 1” thick and up to 2-1/2” thick... 2" is strongly suggested...
You have to meet a minimum wall “R” value by code in a lot of locales... Check yours...

Note...
The rigid extruded polystyrene board (REP) is your new VB...

While you are at it... Cover any exposed foundation w/ polystyrene also... Hopefully the exterior of the foundation is already done... If not, do it when you can but just do it......
Ceiling, four feet of blown in would be nice... Thee will make a world of difference

Here's your Mooney wall...

Mooney Wall -- http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/MooneyWall/MooneyWall.htm

Now to introduce a slight change.. Instead of 2x2's go with “Z” channel and capture the foam board and make life easier on yourself...
Foam board and "Z" channel is installed horizontally...

Z-Furring Channel | http://www.clarkdietrich.com/products/drywall-framing/z-furring-channel

If you sheath the walls with 1/2” ply or OSB before the fire rock goes on... The XDW is to meet fire code and the sheathing is for anyplace anytime nailers...

W/ the "Z" metal being horizontal you can hang the rock vertically which eliminates butt joints and reduces waste... Saves on mudding also..

The sheathing needs to be securely anchored to the “Z” channel and studs for it to be able to hold up your cabinets and wall racks.... I like DW screws to the channel and deck screws or ring shanks (depending on the REB's thickness) to the studs... Fastening the sheathing to the studs anchors the REB in one fell swoop...

With this type of construction you can start in any corner and begin your sheathing/DW'ing and head on down the wall... The drop for that wall then can be carried around to the next wall and carried on... Try not to match up sheathing and DW vertical seams... Also, w/ the sheathing, seams don't require you hitting the studs...

Don't forget to paint.....

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Stick if I built a house I would really like to go with 2/8 walls . Never seen it done before but I think it would be a great idea . Spray foam insulation and it would be pretty efficient .
Another thing I've seen is those foam forms they use to make basement walls, but there building the entire house with them . Concrete is one heck of a sound barrier .
They router into the foam on the interior of the block wall to put in the wiring , but I'd like to see a framed wall inside the foam concete wall .
The walls would also double as bullet resistant in case more people from the USA happen move down here :D

( I say bullet resistant because I don't think 8"s of concrete would stop a 50 cal )

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the Mooney wall costs less than spray foam....

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nothing wrong with you, Rick...as long as you're not looking for girlie pictures where they're sitting on router tables...

One at a time...girlies and whirlies don't mix... :)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
It's just a workshop/ garage; you get what, maybe four months of really cold weather? R 20 fibreglass or better yet, mineral fibre, and move on. This isn't rocket science. Just hire an insulation contractor and be done with it.
The wiring is a one weekend job. You only have to put in your boxes, and run the wiring back to the panel. If you're going to surface wire you don't have to do anything before getting the insulation in.
I can't believe it's not already insulated; your house isn't all that old?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
RainMan,

You need to come to the Vectric Gathering in Vegas. That will restart your batteries, generate your desire for a new CNC setup, and give you your purpose in life back.

Plus, a cold one or two, steaks, seafood, exchange deer and elk recipies, and bs with some pros who will give us reason to keep learning and getting better.

HJ

Reservations and fees paid- - Mama's excited -- just not about
Vectric

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RainMan,

You need to come to the Vectric Gathering in Vegas. That will restart your batteries, generate your desire for a new CNC setup, and give you your purpose in life back.

Plus, a cold one or two, steaks, seafood, exchange deer and elk recipies, and bs with some pros who will give us reason to keep learning and getting better.

HJ

Reservations and fees paid- - Mama's excited -- just not about
Vectric
That would be an interesting trade show !

1 - 20 of 49 Posts