Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a friend that works for a Semi shipping company. They haul multiple semi trucks hooked up to each other across the country. Any way when they unload they have all this rough cut lumber that come off the rigs and he gives it to me for free. He said it’s oak. Some obviously look like oak but some I don’t recognize. From what I found online they look like pin oak or live oak. What are your thoughts? Two different pieces below both planed and ripped.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The top picture looks like white oak. It has medullary rays like that.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Just be sure to weed out any 'treated' timber.....

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Agree with everyone else.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Aj, If you take a 4" piece of red oak and dip one end in water, then blow on the other end... Bubbles will appear in the water. White oak will not.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The bottom three pics look like red oak...porous enough...

EDIT...nope...changed my mind...white oak...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aj, If you take a 4" piece of red oak and dip one end in water, then blow on the other end... Bubbles will appear in the water. White oak will not.
Neat trick, will definitely have to try that one.

The bottom three pics look like red oak...porous enough...

EDIT...nope...changed my mind...white oak...
first two pics are the same piece which I think was decided on to be white oak. last two pics are of red oak I believe but could be wrong. here is a great site that I came across for wood species. Y'all may know of it already. The (HobbitHouse)

the dark spots are probably oil, based on their previous use.
That makes since. Would appear as so. Doesn't really have a smell though. Would those pieces be trash or still usable. Moisture in the stock is near 8% last I checked.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Neat trick, will definitely have to try that one.

first two pics are the same piece which I think was decided on to be white oak. last two pics are of red oak I believe but could be wrong. here is a great site that I came across for wood species. Y'all may know of it already. The (HobbitHouse)

That makes since. Would appear as so. Doesn't really have a smell though. Would those pieces be trash or still usable. Moisture in the stock is near 8% last I checked.
The only problem might be whether or not it would take a finish on the oily spots. Try a test first.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Be very careful with pallets that come from over seas. Many times they spray them with nasty pesticides. Also most pallet wood even oak is green wood. So be sure to measure moisture content before using to build a masterpiece. If it is domestic (USA) you can use to make a lot of things but if it came from anywhere else be wary and protect your self from noxious chemicals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.