Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to cut out the center of a cabinet door, for a plexiglass insert, and the jig saw didn't get the cuts straight enough.

So I stuck a 1/4" staight bit in the table. The fence had to be removed, and the door was too big for a pin or any type of guard.

I also had to rabbet in the back side with no fence or pin, but at least on that I had the pilot bearing. Still no guard though.

If unsafe, what would be an alternative?

I thought possibly of using a top bearing flush trim bit with a straight edge board as the guide?? But there was so much material betweent the straight bit and my fingers I couldn't see why not to do it that way.

Again, still no guard.

·
Registered
786 Posts
it got the job done and alls ok..thats what counts for sure...and it sounds like you know safety is important and looked at possibilities..anything that can be done for safety should be of course..but at times..caution and common sense...

·
Premium Member
14,846 Posts
Your second suggestion is the way that I would normally carry out such a task.

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
Some guys at the "Shed" had the same problem last Saturday.

At one point they had the frame between the fence and the cutter....I soon set them straight on that....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some guys at the "Shed" had the same problem last Saturday.

At one point they had the frame between the fence and the cutter....I soon set them straight on that....
Could you elaborate? I think I can picture the situation, but why did you need to set them straight?

I guess it could be because there is still the same danger of the board jumping and taking fingers with it, but it seems there'd be more support with the fence.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Too much threat from a self feed. Your chip accumulation added more risk.
You had the realestate to hand rout; I would have used a hand router, possibly in stages. And I would have done it outside, the mess you made is toxic. Your respect for safety is admirable but I think you were at risk.
I would not have allowed my students to do it your way.
Routers

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
HI Matt.

Harry and Pat have indicated a safe way to make the cut.

If the work piece was trapped between the fence and the cutter, "a self feed' as Pat called it could have resulted which can be very dangerous.

....using a top bearing flush trim bit with a straight edge board as the guide
Also the method I would have used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts