Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallelujah, cooler heads prevail!

Not sure you can tell from the statement above, but I am so happy Boston and Mayor Walsh backed away from the table. His cred just went up big time in my book I may learn to like him yet.

As soon as I found out about the bidding for 2024 I got a real deep down "Oh crap" feeling. I hate Boston, for no other reason than it is a city and I don't care for the things, (cities) never have and never will. Boston is a small old city and not suited for such an enormous exhibition let alone the cost, the big dig wrecked the city for yrs. Every yr I drove my mother to Logan during the dig when I would head back to the Cape I would end up in Chelsea, no matter what I did or which direction I tried to go I'd end up on the damn bridge in Chelsea.

Anyway, I remember reading about Lake Placid NY after the Olympics were over. The city filed bankruptcy papers; luckily the state stepped in and bailed them out. When I heard about Boston putting a bid in I did some checking and discovered Lake Placid isn't the only city to suffer from the Olympic curse. Montreal, Vancouver, Nagano, Sydney, Athens, Albert Ville France, all these cities and their people suffered financially, many still paying off massive debt, (billions) because of it.

I am so freaking glad!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Athens 2004, 16 bill, is there any wonder why they're bankrupt?
Montreal 1976, 2.6bill
Moscow 1980, 2bill
Sydney 2000, 2.2bill
Vancouver 2010, thought they could sell the apts built for the games as luxury units, 2012 most were vacant, they have no data on them since
Nagano 1998, apparently there was so much corruption and mismanagement the Nagano Olympic committee burned all the financial records and the city and surrounding area went into a extensive recession.
Albert Ville France 1992, had a measly 67 mill debt.

Why would any city with at least half their brain trust functioning want anything to do with the Olympic games? What prestige comes from massive debt?

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Personally I have no use for the Olympics . Our government actually claimed that ours paid for themselves , which was stated in a newspaper when people started to complain about traffic fines doubling as soon as they were over .
If they were to come here again I'm sure we'd be better off living in North Korea .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to lurve watching them, then somewhere into the 80s they began padding the telecasts and its just gotten worse since.

The Sochi broadcasts got more mute button and channel changing than ever. I want to see the events, not learn how so and so over came their hangnail disability to make the team. The padding killed it for me.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'm with Rainman1. I am of the opinion that the Olympics have run their course. Does anyone remember the Word's Fair of the past? I lived in NY when they had the one there 1964-1965- it was on for two years. More recently they had one in Knoxville, TN and it was only for a few months, if I recall. It was a flop...big time. There wasn't enough of a population base to support it and travel expenses kept a lot of people away.
IMHO, the Olympics don't provide anything or do anyone any good. Plus, the threat of terrorism would be a factor. Look what happened at the Boston Marathon. Just think what a target the Olympics would offer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Until last week I lived in a community just south of Boston Yes, really! I just moved to Maine. Hosting an Olympics is just a way for big construction, big unions and politicians to make millions while the poor citizens guarantee the funding through taxes. Overruns cost the host city/state/nation, on average, 179% of what was originally projected. I've lived in the Middle East for many years and I have never seen the level of corruption that Massachusetts has in its state legislature.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wood Chip, I lived in Louisiana for six years- we had the finest politicians money could buy. My parents lived in Chicago for a while. The saying was: Vote early and vote often. Good thing we don't get all the government we pay for!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe someone could come up with a couple 3 places around the globe to build permanent facilities for the games. All participating countries contribute to the upkeep on a not for profit basis. All events are televised, no cheering fans plugging the stadiums or arenas. Just show the events, all the events not just the host countries or the favorites.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
great idea but ya think the money grubbers won't take fondly to it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was away from home and working down in sunny London when that was on. So many worked from home* that London was great, quiet and easy to get around.

Was nice, first time I ever went to London as well. No fighting to get on a tube train, hell we even had seats on the tube.
London's not really one of those post Olympic wastelands though, managing nicely.

*Working from home seems to be ambling about the house in their underpants as far as I can see.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a link with some info on the games from 48 to Sochi, I wish I could find the one located last night, there was a lot more info for each city. Also it appears that cost amounts + or - vary from one site to another.
Olympic games profit loss
Not sure why the figures were computed in US dollars, outside of it being easier for Yanks taking an interest.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
.......London's not really one of those post Olympic wastelands though, managing nicely.......
I agree. Even though that table only shows the UK at 52mil up, it also shows the world where we are. How much more is made by tourism or trade over the next few years.

And last weeked we had the 3rd anniversary games with a lot of the major athletes from around the globe. Wonder how much that bought in.

Los Angeles and Vancouver (summer and winter respectively) made profits. Someone somewhere was managing it right. Maybe look at those managing them rather than the games themselves.

The 2012 London games where broadcast by the BBC. We had about 16 channels on TV that covered the majority of the sports. Always something new to watch, rather than in the past purely the athletics.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you have to wonder what goes on in the negotiations that make some event cities work and others go horribly wrong. I'm guessing the more construction required to facilitate the games the higher the cost to the city. Newer/younger cities are structured differently than older ones and don't ramble as much. I wonder how much eminent domain gets thrown around in these cases. Regular sporting events could be reconfigured in host cities but for how long? I'll have to take a look to see which game cities suffer more (winter or summer).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Talk about corruption......have you read that book that David Boeri wrote about Whitey and Billy Bulger and the Boston FBI?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts