Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eBay laser arrived today. I am going to put it onto my Samson 510 CNC table and hopefully use it to burn images into materials like birch plywood, etc., as well as cut some small, thin materials. It is only an 8 Watt laser, so I am not expecting much, but I DO like to experiment!

If I can get it to cut thin Plexiglass, it will have been worth the $600.00 price. If not, it is going to make one heck of a perimeter guard for my home alarm system!

·
Super Moderator
David
3,586 Posts
I know it takes at least 20 watts to cut Abalone or Mother of Pearl blanks so I'm eager to hear how your 8 watt unit performs. I'll be getting my CNC soon and plan to add laser capabilities at some point.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
My eBay laser arrived today. I am going to put it onto my Samson 510 CNC table and hopefully use it to burn images into materials like birch plywood, etc., as well as cut some small, thin materials. It is only an 8 Watt laser, so I am not expecting much, but I DO like to experiment!

If I can get it to cut thin Plexiglass, it will have been worth the $600.00 price. If not, it is going to make one heck of a perimeter guard for my home alarm system!

be careful out there...

Reactions: Shop guy

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
I can't see an 8 watt laser cutting there plexi , just paper . Engraving should work I suspect

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see an 8 watt laser cutting there plexi , just paper . Engraving should work I suspect
Well, I played with the laser for the first time tonight. I was able to cut little circles out of the lid of my Rubbermaid BRUTE trash can lid, holding it with my hand. The focal length is very short, so it was much like burning wood with a magnifying glass.

When I hit the focal point, it very quickly melted the plastic, and set paper on fire with no problem. If I use this to CUT paper, felt, cardboard, vinyl, etc. on my CNC table, I believe I will have to introduce a feed of CO2 to prevent the material from catching fire.

However, on a CNC machine, the Z-axis can lower the laser to the proper focal height and hold it there steadily, so I believe I will accomplish more when I remove the human factor.

My thought is that the laser ALONE will not cut plex, but if I add a stream of compressed air through a small nozzle like a thin copper tube or something, I can use the laser for heat and the air for material removal.

I can also feed a stream of pure oxygen from my oxy/acetylene torch, so I figure I should be able to accomplish something with it. It was a $600.00 gamble. It won't destroy me if it turns out to be nothing more than a wood burning tool.

I am leaving for CommieFornia at 0-dark-thirty Monday morning, so the experiments will have to wait until I get back.

Did I tell you I set my bedroom on fire when I was a child? You see, I was building this BIG electromagnet when I learned the difference between DC current and AC current...:surprise:

·
Registered
Paul
1,868 Posts
Sorry can't help. I was wondering if cutting clear stuff would be harder than opaque or even dark colored stuff?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts