Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

After lurking for quite some time, earlier in the week I finally made the decision, and I've bought my first router, a 900W Makita with a 1/4" collet ... :grin:

At this stage, I've got a few very basic cabinet type projects that I'd like to get rolling with, mainly centered around improving storage in my garage / workshop.

Outside of those projects, I'm a grade 1 class A geek, so using the router in connection with some digital electronics projects is a definite possibility, so depending on how that goes, I might even consider venturing into CNC. As for the CNC, I've got +40 years experience as a draughtsman, and 30 years worth of CAD behind me, so the 3D modelling side of things holds no terrors.

At this stage I'm pretty comfortable with Sketchup, but a friend who does have a CNC machine is trying to get to grips with Fusion 360, so I'll look at getting to grips with that so that I can help him out, in exchange for some 3D time ... :wink:

Cheers

John

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome to the forums John...
have we got some accelerate your learning curve w/ new router...
visit this here link and start reading....

Reactions: JGC

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi John and welcome. We have some very knowledgeable CNC guys here who may be able to help. And your friend can join too.

Reactions: JGC

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums John.

Sounds like you and your friend will be having lost of fun working together. With your background, you should be able to figure out the basics of Fusion 360 quickly and be able to start sharing that with your friend and in turn he can share machine time with you untile you get a CNC of your own, win-win situation.

You will find that Fusion 360 is a powerful program loaded with features.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. As I said, I've been lurking for a while, and getting a feel for what goes on around here, and as has been said, you seem like a helpful and knowledgeable lot.

Based on the advice of my mate, who has a background as a carpenter, but is now working as a technology teacher, I've just ordered what he considers to be a good starter range of bits.

I did kook at the kits that are available, and it seemed like I'd either need to buy three of four kits to get the range that I wanted, or I could actually rely on someone who knows what he's doing, to point me in the right direction. So that's the way I've decided to go.

For now, I'm really looking forward to making some sawdust, but unfortunately I need to wait for the bits to arrive. Once they turn up I'll have a bit of a play about, and see what kind of mess I can make. Then, hopefully, things will get less messy, and I can actually move on to making something useful. Sorry, utilitarian is probably my first target, rather than useful ... :wink:

However, whilst I'm waiting (impatiently) I'll have a good browse of the links that Stick has pointed me at, thanks ... :smile:

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome, and with your assistance, I look forward to learning how to make the best use of my new toy ... :grin:

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
John,

One of the interesting things about this hobby is the sense of accomplishment you get when you discover a way to overcome an obstacle. Of course making something that turns out well, even if just for yourself, is also very gratifying. It's not a competition against others but rather the path of self improvement. Each new project will probably be just shy of perfection somewhere and only you know just where to look but the fact that what you've created is yours and serves its purpose is gratifying in itself. I built a book case years ago, actually two of them based on Norm Abrams plans and made a mistake on the molding which really upset me. I had planned on going back later to fix it but the funny thing is only I saw and knew where this mistake was. No one has ever pointed out where this was and it turned out I was the only person to notice. I'm my hardest critic. It's the first place I would look because I knew it was there. Fact is I left it alone as a reminder. It serves its purpose and is far better than what I found when I was looking to buy. It will last generations short of any natural disasters. Each project is an accumulative lesson.

Enjoy the router and bits but never think you'll not make a mess. It's the nature of that beast. And do look over Stick's links as there is a ton of good information.

-Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve, you've managed to hit the nail on the head when you talk about satisfaction and acomplishment.

As as draughtsman, I'm well used to preparing plans for other people to build, and I realise that I've been missing out on actually making "stuff" for myself. That was / is the the missing piece of the jigsaw that I've been looking for.

When you talk about acknowledging your own mistakes and short comings, particularly when you, as the creator, are probably the only person who recognises the fault. I can definitely relate to that, and if the job only serves as a permanent reminder to you (me) to learn from the event, and try not to make the same mistake again, then it is performing an important function.

However, I'm still at the stage of checking the mailbox for the bits to turn up so that I can start making plenty of sawdust, and a few mistakes too.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have a good attitude. Lots to learn, lots to make. Makita is a good choice in the South Pacific region. Lots of good CNC advice on here as well.
Thanks Tom,

I've already got friends who are well ahead of me in the game, and they've already moved onto CNC, so I'm looking forward to making that step.

However, for now I'm quite happy to be learning the ropes, and building some simple little projects. If for no other reason that to build my confidence, as I've done very little woodworking since leaving school a long, long time ago ... :wink:

Cheers

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.