Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to wwodworking and would like any assisting in setting up a workshop as I will be retiring in 3 Years.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
hello J C....
and welcome...
do you have a building yet???
what size projects do you think you'll be doing???

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Hi JC. Starting from scratch gives you the opportunity to make life easier on yourself. As you design your layout think about how we work. First we cut wood to size, then we perform shaping followed by sanding, assembly and finishing. You can set up your shop so your machines follow this path and that will save you many steps over the years. I urge you to make dust collection a priority; all wood dust is toxic, some much worse than others. You also get the benefit of a much cleaner shop that is less likely to have a fire. (win/win situation)

Following this plan means you will have your clamps located near your assembly area; a multipurpose fire extinguisher near your finishing area etc.. I really wish someone had told me these things when I started out.

When you ask for tips on which tools to buy remember we are world wide; a fact we often forget. Pay close attention to members from your area, they know where to find the best prices and which tools are available near you.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum JC.

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
:) Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Grobbie, which area are you from?

Regards

Rudi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hallo Grobbie,

You need to visit Hardware Centre in Randburg or Cape Town. They have a vast range of advice and tools. If you go on a Saturday morning, you will also find a group of woodworkers, visiting and drinking coffee.

My wife has placed a ban on me going there without her. And if I dare touch anything in the store, she will ask: Do you really need that? Why? What will you do with it? When? etc.

Groete,
Lucas

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi JC, and a welcome from me in Wilderness as well. If you're ever down our way, visit the George Woodworkers stand at the Outeniqua Farmers Market on a Saturday morning. We meet a lot of kindred souls from up-country who visit our stand.
Rob

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hallo Grobbie,

You need to visit Hardware Centre in Randburg or Cape Town. They have a vast range of advice and tools. If you go on a Saturday morning, you will also find a group of woodworkers, visiting and drinking coffee.

My wife has placed a ban on me going there without her. And if I dare touch anything in the store, she will ask: Do you really need that? Why? What will you do with it? When? etc.

Groete,
Lucas
Check out some online sites as well
Delivering DIY Solutions to your front door

used equipment:
Sell It! Buy and Sell for free in South Africa with OLX online classifieds
Free Classifieds on Gumtree South Africa
Free Classifieds in South Africa | Junk Mail Classifieds
etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts