Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anderson Bow window jamb extensions. See attached pic. I want to machine jamb extensions in oak to replace the pine that came with window. Want to match oak sill I made.

Looking for suggestions on how best to machine this specifically the T&G end at an angle. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would probably do it on a table saw. It's made to angle the cut and routers aren't. To do it with a router you would have to make at least 2 jigs. With a TS you just set the tilt to the angle you want.

Maybe I misunderstand what you want but if that piece is the sill plate then it looks like you plan on joining another piece to it down slope and that will not be a good idea.

Reactions: neville9999

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, I agree with chuck, that would be a lot easier on a TS. Once you have the angle of the blade set, you won't need to change it, just the height. That assumes your TS fence face is perpendicular to the table. It's still a bit tricky - think through the cut order. I'd probably do all the non through cuts first. You might need a sacrificial fence face to do the little notch.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's table saw work...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Jeff, I would cut the angle shown on the top right side of the picture on the table saw.

Then use a dado blade to cut the tongue ,by fist holding the angle you just cut against the fence and set the fence to cut the front of the tongue.

Then move the fence toward the blade and cut the back of the tongue.
You will probably have to use a sacrificial fence to keep the dado blade from nicking the table saw fence on the last cut.
Also I would make some guides to stabilize the piece as I fed it thru the saw as to not tip it and throw off the cut.

Herb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts