Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
15,464 Posts
Tom; can you post a photo?
Normally of course the jamb nut would tighten against the component that's at risk of loosening/moving. Are you saying that the armature or shaft has an adjustment as well?
(Sorry, I can't picture what you're describing. )

Oh! Welcome, by the way!!

· Registered
8,958 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your router. I can not visulize your problem, Save a picture to your desktop, then drag it into the space at the bottom that says "Drag and Drop file"

Most routers have a nut on the shaft that you can hold the shaft, with a wrench from turning while you loosen/tighten the collet nut.
Herb

· Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome. Without a photo I would be inclined to say the jam nut should go up against the bottom bearing or that part of the housing.

· Registered
2,324 Posts
If you mean the nut that holds the collet in the end of the router shaft to lock the bit in place, most routers today have collets with a groove around the outside that the collet nut is supposed to snap into and make an assembly. Then, when loosening the collet nut you need to loosen it about one turn further and this will pull the collet out of the router shaft, loosening the bit for easy removal and change. If you don't snap the collet into the nut before use, you cmay have considerable difficulty removing the bit after use, since the outside of the collet is tapered and will nest tightly into the tapered hole in the inside of the router shaft. Getting the router bit out after use is much easier with the collet and nut snapped together before use, so the nut will hold the collet and bit tightly in use, but also help to pull the collet out of the router shaft when removal / changing of the router bit is desired.

I have no experience with your model router, but most routers made since about 1960 work this way.

Charley

· Registered
Mike
3,960 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Tom. That model number returns a not found message, is it the right number?

· Registered
1 Posts
I have the same question. I have that lever to use to keep the shaft from spinning to change bits, so I'm making an educated guess that the lock and jam nuts don't do anything for the collet/bit changing function. I'm ok with being wrong btw, it's why I'm here asking the question lol.
In the parts diagram it refers to the parts in the picture as:
  1. 6-610662-00 Collet with Retaining Ring
  2. 1-623794-02 Jam Nut
  3. 1-623793-01 Lock Nut

Motor vehicle Automotive design Coil Electrical wiring Gas

· Registered
158 Posts
From the picture above, it appears that the bearing at the bit end of the motor is exposed. The primary (thicker) nut against the bearing has two purposes, 1 it maintains the preload on the bearing, and 2 it has at least one vertical slot in it that is used in conjunction with the spindle lock lever to lock the spindle for changing bits. The thinner lock nut above the primary nut is fastened tightly against the primary nut effectively locking both to the spindle.

The nuts would be set at the factory and should not need to be touched again unless there is a need to completely dismantle the router. Neither should be touched with a wrench while changing bits because of the risk of varying the preloading of the bearing or allowing vertical play to be established in the spindle, that bearing is all that can lock the spindle protrusion in the motor assembly, misadjustment either fries the bearing or allows the spindle to float in the motor housing giving random variation in bit depth.

For changing bits, unplug the router, engage the spindle lock, use a wrench to loosen the collet nut, remove and replace the bit, tighten the collet nut with the spindle lock engaged, disengage the spindle lock and set your cutting depth.

· Official Greeter
20,416 Posts
G'day Rob. Welcome to the forum.
Just for reference, could you confirm the model number for that router.
The number quoted by the OP did not return and information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts