Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circumstances were such that I could get out to the shop for a bit this afternoon and I I wanted to try to make a mortise and tenon joint. As you that have followed by threads on this matter for sometime now you know that I've been fussin with this for some time. The new Footpring chisel was or is pretty sharp as it came from the distributor. I have not attempted to sharpen it yet but just wanted to give it a try as it was. Well I found that squaring up the corners of the mortise was much easier than I had expected. The joint looks great and it's very strong of course and I am looking forward to going ahead with the end table for my sister and using M&T joints in the project. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the results that I had today. Hope I haven't bored you folks to much with all my goings on about my personal interests.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good to hear.
You'll post pictures later, eh?

Borrow Dan's helmet cam....

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear.
You'll post pictures later, eh?

Ralph,
This project is unique in that originally all I did was to make a very simple small table top and sent it to Oregon with the idea that my sis'ter's husband or somebody else would make thre legs and finish the table. Things changed after sending the top and this led me to my deciding to make the legs. So when I say unique, I mean that I plan on making the parts for the legs and sending them unassembled and letting my brother in law do the final assembling. This requrires that more care is given to the fitting so that the assembling will will be simple, and perfectly made. Partly of course, I must confess, is to impress him with my work. He is a old time woodworker and knows that I am a real novice, so you see this is a special challenge for me. Fortunately, my sister and her husband are also high end photographers wand will e-mail photos when the table is completed and I can share them with members of the forum.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Crummy pictures with your sawdust are fine.

We want to see wood in a shop!!

Or to put it another way, pictures of wood and/or tools remove any crumminess the pic may have.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Dan has a helmet cam? I'm jealous!

Wait... A hard hat with a phone camera duct taped to it or an actual "Destination Truth" style helmet cam with a boom. If the later, in public, my condolences. LOL.

Great Jerry. Even a pic on how the practice M&T turned out. I knew once you dug into to it, you'd figure it out and it'd go okay.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Jerry, as I have said before don't overthink it... just go out and enjoy making sawdust! This is a lesson I learned from a HS shop teacher. I asked him if he ever made mistakes and he smiled and said: "I have a big fireplace to hide any I make."

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry, as I have said before don't overthink it... just go out and enjoy making sawdust! This is a lesson I learned from a HS shop teacher. I asked him if he ever made mistakes and he smiled and said: "I have a big fireplace to hide any I make."
Mike,
You sure are right in regard to this thread and my thinking about my project for so long. The reason for the "over-think" was probably due to my inability to get out to the shop due to two things, the weather and my getting over my recent illness. By the way if you were to look on the internet to learn about Echoli poisoning, you would see that in most cases it is not to severe and passes in a couple of weeks. That is not the kind I had, mine was much more serious. I'm not trying to play the victim thing, just trying to say why it has taken so long to recover. This past week was the first week that I not needed to take any medication and last night was the first night that I had a normal night's sleep. The poisning happened 25 weeks ago today July 28th, All of this is said just to clear up why it has taken so long in case anybody was wondering what was going on and why I have kept harping on it.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Jerry, it is my guess that in the months to come; it will be us asking you how you make mortise and tenon joints. I also tend to overthink some things more than I should have - it is just a small segment in the process of learning something new. I am glad to see that now you are more comfortable making that particular joint. Wood working requires a bit of self-confidence to try new things. Frankly having already seen some of your work, I am not surprised that you tackled it proudly. I do want to echo cautions about working with power tools if you are sleep-deprived, fatigue is a woodworkers major enemy.
I am glad to learn of your continued improvements, and I hope your wife is also recovering nicely after her back surgery! Otis from Auburn

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Mike,
... That is not the kind I had, mine was much more serious. I'm not trying to play the victim thing, just trying to say why it has taken so long to recover. This past week was the first week that I not needed to take any medication and last night was the first night that I had a normal night's sleep. The poisning happened 25 weeks ago today July 28th, All of this is said just to clear up why it has taken so long in case anybody was wondering what was going on and why I have kept harping on it.

Jerry
Hi. Jerry.

Hope you will be better asap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts