Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this bandsaw for a couple of years, its get very light usage. clean off some dust and its brand new again. today my wife was using it and the blade came off. she uses it for cutting small sticks/twigs for her craft business and maybe a 1x every now and then. so i thought she might have done something she shouldn't have, but when i tried turning the top wheel, it did not move freely. i pulled the wheel off and it does spin freely with my fingers stuck in the holes on each side of it. If i put the wheel back on the upper wheel shaft, it will spin freely until i push it all the way on, then hard to spin again. there appears to be nothing wrong with the shaft. no grooves or scratches in it. i was thinking maybe there should be a washer of some sort that sits between the wheel and the back of the shaft, but it does not look like it according to the parts diagram. i'm at a loss for what it could be, nothing looks wrong, but the wheel no longer spins freely when pushed all the way on the shaft. wondering if anyone might have an idea of why this is happening. thanks --Brian

· Registered
22,917 Posts
That's a happy discovery. Glad it's working again. That is a decent saw, based on an old design, I think that started with Delta tools. You used to be able to find a riser block so you could cut 12 inches total. But those risers are no longer available. Very nice that the two of you enjoy similar hobbies.

· Official Greeter
20,404 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found a solution to that particular issue..

· Registered
130 Posts
That reminds me of a case of trouble I had one time where a customers phone line went out of service when a service guy climbed their pole and hooked up a new line. Every time I opened the service box on the pole the line came clear and worked. Every time I shut the door it went grounded and went out of service again. Come to find out a month later this was reported to us as a manufacturing defect where the lock on the door when turned and grounded out the terminal 38. My customer was on terminal 38. I found this same case of trouble over the years many times as this was a very common box and we installed thousands of them over the years.

· Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a very similar band saw, a JBS-14, and am in need of a new lower wheel. I was replacing the wheel bearings, and, adding a 6 inch riser block to the saw, when I discovered that the lower wheel is cracked. This wasn't at all easy because the alignment pins are located in the opposite corners as where they are located on the riser. Anywho, the crack goes from one of the large holes to another, and is difficult to see, but it is there just the same. I do not want to use the saw until I can find a replacement. I also moved the saw off it's original base, which was getting very weak and unstable, and onto a newer, much stronger Delta base, which needed some modification to make it all work together. The crack on the wheel doesn't show up in a picture I took, but here is a pic of the saw before I took it apart.

Wood Gas Machine Engineering Metal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts