Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a pretty good deal on some 5/16” T-Knobs except that the threads did not go through the top. Well that doesn’t work for me and I don’t even know what to use these for without going all the way through.

It was a real pain to drill out the first one so I made a jig to hold them which made it so much easier.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I nearly lost the first one trying to do it by hand. I tried drilling a pilot hole from the threaded side to locate the exact center on top but it wasn't so center when it came out. Then it nearly tore my hand off when I drilled down with the larger bit from the top and it hit the brass. The plastic was easy, but the knob turned in my hand flying across the room when the drill caught the brass thread.

I had 6 of them to do and it was just too dangerous so I decided that I needed something to hold it without breaking the plastic. I drilled all the way through with a 5/16 drill for a bolt to lock it in place. I then drilled a ¾” hole the depth of the knob and used my router table with my brand new lift to cut the slot for the handle.

Once I had the jig built it was just a matter of bolting the knob inside the jig which did two things. One was holding the knob in the jig holder and the other was a stop to protect the brass threads from being damaged if the drill bit were to pull it up.

After that it was a piece of cake because the drilling was a one-step drilling process and I got them all done with in the time it took to do one by hand.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nicely done..

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
JohnnyB60,
I had a similar issue a while back, being the lazy WOF that I am I just grabbed them with a Jorgensen hand screw and clamped it to the drill press. Although I did the opposite of your tech by drilling from the bottom up with a brad point bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts