Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, how/where does everyone store their jigs. I am getting an accumulation of a few and many more to come as I sit here trying to figure out where I am going to keep all of these in my smal shop. Picture ideas would be a plus.

I can't wait for BJ to get hold of this thread.... he must have a thousand :D ;)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I too can't wait for answers. I find it difficult to open a cupboard in either of my sheds without protecting my head from falling jigs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have run out of shelf space as well so I have taken to drilling holes in the jigs and hanging them from nails in the floor joists overhead in my basement shop. I use a black marker to identify what they are used for ... in BIG letters for my old eyes.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

Well ,,,,, I have a roll of elec. wire (#14ga.) that I keep on hand all the time,I take the knife and remove the white cover and then remove the wire(s) from the inside and cut them into 12" to 14" long , then I drill a 1/4" hole in most of the jigs and hang them on the walls in the shop :) :) a out of site thing will come into to play if I don't don't keep them in site... :)
But I'm running out of walls,so now I have them 3 or 4 deep and I'm using 4" to 6" deck screws to hang them on now. :)
No real order to them and I must do that some day,but most of them are for the router table and the ones for the other equipment I try and keep them by that machine or on the wall behind it.

They are all marked but some times I don't recall what my notes are for :)
So sometimes they get a rework job to do a new job,,, that been working out great because I can use the same jig to do more than one job.

I'm not to sure how many I have but it's getting hard to find a blank spot on the wall for any more, I use wooden knobs on alot of them and the last time I made 50 knobs and on Fri. last week .the box for the knobs was down to just two, I guess it time to make some more..:) the last time I made some was about 60 days ago and I was hard for me to think I used that many.

Bj :)

Bob N said:
Just out of curiosity, how/where does everyone store their jigs. I am getting an accumulation of a few and many more to come as I sit here trying to figure out where I am going to keep all of these in my smal shop. Picture ideas would be a plus.

I can't wait for BJ to get hold of this thread.... he must have a thousand :D ;)

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, but I am all out of wall space and I don't think the wife will let me hang them in the house in place of the pictures :D

Got to figure something out in the near future for sure.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Knobs

Bob, how about a photo.shoot when you make the next batch of knobs.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Bob, take advantage of overhead space like old fashioned stores used to. You can run a heavy gauge wire across your shop in the rafter area and use a long pole with BJ's "S-hook" to hang the jigs out of harms way.
It couldnt hurt to number each jig as you use or build it and keep a log with the function and storage location.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Harry

Ok , or how about a snapshot of the jig I use to make them :)

It's a quick jig to make and the knobs come out right on the buttom every time.

harrysin said:
Bob, how about a photo.shoot when you make the next batch of knobs.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Bob

Here's one I have been kicking around in my head for a long time,, :)

Take some 3/4" plywood and put in 3/4" wide dado slots on 2" centers from one end to the other ,1/2" deep on the 4ft x 8ft ,then rip it into two parts,this will give you a left and a right side to a new corner cabinet,then take some pine or poplar and make a face frame for the front and some 1/4" plywood for the back, then cut some 3/4" plywood up for the side in shelves, because the 3/4" plywood is not 3/4" thick they will just slide in free.
A pocket screws to hold the front face frame in place and a dado on the sides to hold the plywood in place.

Drill in one or two finger holes in the slide in shelves so you can pull them pull them out all the way and so you can make the opening bigger by just removing it and store it.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Bob, I sure would be happy with a snapshot of you're jig but where is it???????

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
2,392 Posts
harrysin said:
Bob, I sure would be happy with a snapshot of you're jig but where is it???????

Bob, I too would like to see a photo shoot of how you make your knobs...

I picture cutting a strip of wood, drill press jig to control spacing of holes, drill a bunch of spaced out holes, tap the center hole, cut them up, then sand... maybe roundovering edges on router table somewhere...

It would be nice to see how you stamp them out... :) :D

Thank you...

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Here's a quick way to make the knobs we all use now and then.
Plus it can save you some big bucks if you buy as many as I do(did).

Use scap hardwood but almost anything we do. :) :) (but NOT Plywood)

The real key to this jig is the indexing of the jig block and the welding rods to keep it true when you drill the small holes. 5 ea. for this one but it can be more if you want. :)

I use a small clock face or a compasses to get the hole setup of the jig but aging it can be what you want to use.

If you need more info just ask :)

More knob types below
http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/8193-beadlock-pro-joinery-4.html
http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/8193-beadlock-pro-joinery.html

enjoy Bj :)

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Ran out of room
two more below

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

I use 2" to 2 1/2" the norm but sometimes 3 or 3 1/4" ID on the hole saws, some jigs need a bit more torg.that's when I use the 3/8-16 tee-nuts and the big OD ones.

I also use 1/4-20 tee-nuts on the small ones like for T-track items,
and use all thread rod when I need the stud type and a cap nut on top for a locking nut.(jam type).
Plastic knobs can be high in price and sometimes, and I can't find the size I want, I also make my table saw wheels when I need one a bit bigger or smaller the same way but I use a plastic long knob to hang on to and crank it with.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Now you're cooking with gas! that is what I mean by a photo shoot. I particularly like the sanding jig but one thing puzzles me, why remove the sharp points from the tee nuts and what then holds them in place?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Harry

Sharp points, are not needed, if the hole is drilled just right because the pull on the tee-nut is always on the lip of the tee-nut, BUT if you don't remove the points it will SPLIT the hardwood when the tee-nut is set in place.
I tried to make that a real point in many of the snapshots : ) :)

If the hole is just a bit over size a bit of glue will hold it in place.

Note**** you can buy tee-nuts without the sharp point but they are 5 times the price the norm, a set of side cutters (wire cutters) will do the job just fine, there will be just a small tip on the tee-nut this will hold the nut from turning in the hole, I cut them on a small angle to a sharp point so to speak but only 1/16" long max.

harrysin said:
Now you're cooking with gas! that is what I mean by a photo shoot. I particularly like the sanding jig but one thing puzzles me, why remove the sharp points from the tee nuts and what then holds them in place?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.