Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am looking to purchase a used jigsaw and am willing to spend up to a maximum of $100.00 if possible. I will be using it on 3/4" MDF. If that helps any.

Would you be so kind as to give me some recommendations. Thank you. Peter

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Under $100 is going to get you a lighter duty saw. I have the old corded Grizzly, and it is a beast, but I don't think they sell that one anymore. Dewalt sells one that looks a lot like it

Try a couple and see which feel good in the hand. Hitachi, Dewalt, some of the craftsmans look solid. The best advice I can give on a cheaper saw is to use good blades. I use Bosch blades, usually the progressor series. They make a underpowered saw cut better.

Refurbished is another option https://www.sears.com/bosch-factory-reconditioned-js365-rt-120v-top-handle/p-SPM5939317707?plpSellerId=CPO Outlets&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Check out the classifieds, if you find a Bosch under $100, go for it

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/tls/d/annapolis-bosch-jigsaw/6793496557.html

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Huh, I've got a B&D I got around 1977, probably the least expensive they had. It's been used from 1/4" plywood, up to 2X4s, and still working just fine.

Reactions: peterbata

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I too am looking at buying a new Jig Saw. I currently have about a 10 year old Black and Decker. I absolutely hate the thing. It was made before the newer crop that have orbital patterns and still has the older blade mounting. The newer saws have the bayonet type blades that are easier to change and get right.

I have Dewalt 20V tools and have looked at the 20V Jig saw to cut the cord. I bought the drill first that came with 2 small batteries. I later bought the 6.5" circular saw and a 4" cutoff/grnder tool. The saw and and grinder eat batteries so I bought 2 five amp hour batteries.

So what I have read the Bosch corded is pretty good. They have several models but of course the most expensive one is the best.

So I have a similar problem about deciding what to buy. I do not want a used one for a tool in this price range. Besides finding a used decent tool is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Usually you do not find the needle but you sure can get stuck by a needle in the haystack.

Should I get a new Bosch corded or go for the Dewalt 20V. The Dewalt is about 160.00 everywhere and the Bosch is about 150.00 to 220.00 (model JS470E and JS572EK respectively) on Amazon.

Please give me any feedback about the Dewalt 20V Jigsaw and/or the Bosch saws.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I too am looking at buying a new Jig Saw.

Please give me any feedback about the Dewalt 20V Jigsaw and/or the Bosch saws.
visit the link I posted...

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have had a few Jigsaws , old B&D from the 70's and a borsch , I do like the Borsh.
However, I recently started investing in cordless Dewalt (circular saw, planner , drill etc ) and purchased the cordless Jigsaw - NOT the brushless version
its great , not having to worry about the cable and works very well with both 2AH and 3AH Batteries
Although I'm only a DIYer so the usage is not high
I recently made up a Window seat using 18mm MDF and it worked well and the batteries on the Circular saw, Jigsaw, Drill and Impact driver , easily lasted the couple of days, without recharge, to construct and install

Although the blower set to blow across the sw, did not seem to clear the dust easily

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the great suggestions. One thing that I have working against me is that some of the suppliers that have been mentioned do NOT sell / ship to Canada. One more question Barrel-Grip vs Top-Handle

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Under $100 is going to get you a lighter duty saw. I have the old corded Grizzly, and it is a beast, but I don't think they sell that one anymore. Dewalt sells one that looks a lot like it

Try a couple and see which feel good in the hand. Hitachi, Dewalt, some of the craftsmans look solid. The best advice I can give on a cheaper saw is to use good blades. I use Bosch blades, usually the progressor series. They make a underpowered saw cut better.

Refurbished is another option https://www.sears.com/bosch-factory-reconditioned-js365-rt-120v-top-handle/p-SPM5939317707?plpSellerId=CPO Outlets&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Check out the classifieds, if you find a Bosch under $100, go for it

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/tls/d/annapolis-bosch-jigsaw/6793496557.html
@kp91 Thank you. I came across a used Bosch 1587AVS that comes with several blades for $100.00. Your thoughts? Actually, I just came across the Bosch JS260 120-Volt Top-Handle Jigsaw from Home Depot for $82.00. I wonder if it is that an Uber entry level unit though

·
Registered
458 Posts
peterbata,

When purchasing such as a Jigsaw, I would recommend to add a few extra bucks and buy a good quality tool. This is a tool you may be using for the next 10 to 15 years or more. So spend a bit extra now. if you pay $100. now and it goes bad shortly after the purchase, where are you then?. Your down a hundred and are you going to buy a cheapy again or go for the gusto.
By a good brand saw, De walt, Bosch or others. I have a two De Walts, one is corded and the other is battery operated. I use them both depending on the job, I have to do. I hope this may help you.

Tagwattss1

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
What Frank said, in spades! Used= no warranty...and it's used.
Factory refurbished is a bit different, although I have no idea where you'd find a Bosch refurb up here in Canada.
Personally I have no use for used tools; only ever been a bad experience for me.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Stick,
They don't ship to Canada !!!!!

Peter is not a woodworker, he is simply trying to complete a project and will no longer have use for woodworking tools.

Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stick,
They don't ship to Canada !!!!!

Peter is not a woodworker, he is simply trying to complete a project and will no longer have use for woodworking tools.

Dan
Thank you @Danman1957. I couldn't have said it better myself. Without going into too much detail, I hope that all is well?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Peter,

If you can get the Bosch new for $82, then I would go for it. If you clean it well and keep the box, you might sell it for +/- $50 when you're done. I have a Mastercraft that I've been using for about 10 yrs and it is fine, Get good blades !!!!!
MDF being made from saw dust and glue, will dull blades faster than cutting solid wood. Buy several and when you feel you need to push harder on the saw, replace the blade instead. Let the tool do it's job, don't force it.

Good luck

Dan

·
Registered
18,986 Posts
I have the DeWalt cordless, 18v and really like not messing with a cord. I already had other DeWalt 18v tools so this was a logical choice. But on reflection, I'd rather have the Bosch to begin with. However, DeWalt has provided a battery upgrade path to the 20 v version. I've also found some heavy duty replacement batteries for DeWalt at about $50 a pair, so I'm going to stick with that brand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think in UK & europe the Dewalt 18V XR range is the same as the Dewalt 20V MAX range in USA - not sure about Canada
my post referred to the UK range 18V XR jigsaw , My Cordless Dewalts are all 18V XR range and I'm looking to get maybe get a 54V flexivolt battery sometime in the future , but as an occasional DIYer not having many issues with the 18V batt life so far

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a Bosch JS470EB and love it, I got mine for less than 2/3 of HD's price at a professional hardware supplies store.

I agree that the Bosch blades are great. They would make a big difference on any jigsaw that you choose. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thank you @Danman1957. I couldn't have said it better myself. Without going into too much detail, I hope that all is well?
too bad we didn't know this to start w/...
time to hit HF...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts