Router Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick,
They don't ship to Canada !!!!!

Peter is not a woodworker, he is simply trying to complete a project and will no longer have use for woodworking tools.

Dan
I'm done...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a Bosch JS470EB and love it, I got mine for less than 2/3 of HD's price at a professional hardware supplies store.

I agree that the Bosch blades are great. They would make a big difference on any jigsaw that you choose. Highly recommended.
Try not to chuckle @TenGees. Your Bosch sells for USD$159.00 (depending on where you are shopping of course)
That same model comes in at a whopping CDN$279.00 at our local HD store here in Canada. Obscene I say!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
too bad we didn't know this to start w/...
time to hit HF...
I have some Mastercraft tools from Canadian Tire that my brother says are the same as Harbor Freight's, maybe just a different color and a little more money. I bought my son the DW corded model a couple of years ago, I think I got it at CT too. It has all the feel of a pretty good tool and had tool less blade change if I remember right. Since then he decided he needed a cordless jigsaw and he already had a few DW 20 volt tools so we got him one of those too. Also a nice tool. I think it was $99 from Amazon Canada no batteries.

Peter if you plan to sell it when you are done then something like a Bosch or DW will have some resale value whereas the Mastercraft I see on Kijiji have little to no resale value. Nor do B & D or Skil. But they don't cost as much either. I've had a few Mastercraft tools perform very well for what I paid for them.

Reactions: peterbata

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have some Mastercraft tools from Canadian Tire that my brother says are the same as Harbor Freight's, maybe just a different color and a little more money. I bought my son the DW corded model a couple of years ago, I think I got it at CT too. It has all the feel of a pretty good tool and had tool less blade change if I remember right. Since then he decided he needed a cordless jigsaw and he already had a few DW 20 volt tools so we got him one of those too. Also a nice tool. I think it was $99 from Amazon Canada no batteries.

Peter if you plan to sell it when you are done then something like a Bosch or DW will have some resale value whereas the Mastercraft I see on Kijiji have little to no resale value. Nor do B & D or Skil. But they don't cost as much either. I've had a few Mastercraft tools perform very well for what I paid for them.
Thank you for the info @Cherryville Chuck. I have seen a ton of DW models appearing in our local classified listings. Wired and cordless. To be honest with you this may be one of the tools that I actually decide to keep. I have quite a bit of deck work that I need to attend to next spring.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
@kp91 Thank you. I came across a used Bosch 1587AVS that comes with several blades for $100.00. Your thoughts? Actually, I just came across the Bosch JS260 120-Volt Top-Handle Jigsaw from Home Depot for $82.00. I wonder if it is that an Uber entry level unit though
I prefer top handle to barrel grip, but every one is different. Look at the amps on the name plate, it should be 6 or more amps if it is their heavy duty saw.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts
One more vote for Bosch. My jig saw work was marginal at best until I purchased a Bosch. I reach for it often when I need to make a quick cut.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I was going to mention Peter that if you plan on using it for long periods of time then the better ones like the Bosch or the DW I bought for my son will be kinder to your hands. The better ones have more weight and run smoother which produce a lot less vibration. You'll feel the difference right away. You might consider Hitachi too. Metabo and Hitachi just merged which may bring Metabo's price down. I own a Metabo jigsaw and it runs like a Swiss sewing machine. But it was on sale 30 years ago for $120 from the regular $170 when I bought it so not cheap.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I have a Sears,POS jigsaw only use once I will give to you if you pay the shipping. Replaced it with a Makita cordless, that is a going concern, really nice til the battery runs down, but it comes with 2 batteries and a charger, Go top handle, unless you have big hands and like to keep them warm. watch out for the cord it is always in the way, cut mine off a few times, only takes a few minutes to re-splice the cord, after about 3 splices you will need a new cord or do like I did and just put a plug on at the handle. Be sure to get one that uses the Bosch tang blades like was stated above they really make a difference , cut thru cord w/o ruining the blade.

Herb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you all for the great suggestions. One thing that I have working against me is that some of the suppliers that have been mentioned do NOT sell / ship to Canada. One more question Barrel-Grip vs Top-Handle
The top handle sells better and the trigger makes it easier to control speed. The barrel grip gives better control of the tool but the power switch and thumb wheel are a separate operation. I was at a woodworking show a number of years ago and the Bosch dealer had both set up to play with. I bought the barrel grip. It is a personal choice, that is why both are still made. There is no best. Bosch has great blade stability for tight curve control. If you are using it instead of a circular saw to cut up plywood and 2×4s you will find it easier to cut straight with a circular saw. I bought mine before the battery powered stuff but for a jigsaw the first name is still Bosch, just like Milwaukee owns demolition saws (Sawzalls).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thank you all for the great suggestions. One thing that I have working against me is that some of the suppliers that have been mentioned do NOT sell / ship to Canada. One more question Barrel-Grip vs Top-Handle
My 2 cents on Barrel vs Top Handle. With a barrel grip you will have a lot more control e.g. it will be easier to cut a straight line. I have a Bosch which my wife bought on-line for me. I pointed to the barrel grip picture but she ordered the top handle tool. Of course I couldn't return it so what I do is hold it by the barrel and turn it on with my other hand. If I'm doing a cut that doesn't need to be too accurate I can use the top handle. I figure I have the best of both worlds. With the Bosch barrel heat has never been a problem. Not an inexpensive tool ($160 US) but it has worked great. Just another opinion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My 2 cents on Barrel vs Top Handle. With a barrel grip you will have a lot more control e.g. it will be easier to cut a straight line. I have a Bosch which my wife bought on-line for me. I pointed to the barrel grip picture but she ordered the top handle tool. Of course I couldn't return it so what I do is hold it by the barrel and turn it on with my other hand. If I'm doing a cut that doesn't need to be too accurate I can use the top handle. I figure I have the best of both worlds. With the Bosch barrel heat has never been a problem. Not an inexpensive tool ($160 US) but it has worked great. Just another opinion.

@JIMMIEM Thank you for your input. I have attached an image of what it is that I plan on cutting. Jigsaw first then finish it off with my router.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just found out that my neighbor owns a Bosch Jigsaw that he would be willing to part with. Apparently, he has only used it a handful of times. It is the Bosch Model: JS365

Any thoughts?

Thank you. Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
Paul
1,834 Posts
Try not to chuckle @TenGees. Your Bosch sells for USD$159.00 (depending on where you are shopping of course)
That same model comes in at a whopping CDN$279.00 at our local HD store here in Canada. Obscene I say!
I paid C$160 for mine and it was over C$240 at HD at the time. If you have a hardware store that caters to professionals, check their prices.

I prefer a barrel grip partially because that's what I used at work for many years. Seems like I have better control closer to the cut but I agree that a variable speed trigger is nice. With a good blade on my jigsaw, for fun I cut 3/4" plywood by just holding the cord about 6 inches from the saw! Try that with my old $20 B&D and the cheap blades. hahaha

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
According to the product description that should be an excellent saw. It has lots of power, a rubber grip where your hand goes, tool less blade change, and you can switch the fan exhaust to blow your pencil line clean so that you can see where you are cutting. It has variable speed and trigger control which seems redundant but that's getting nit-picky. I think you'll be very happy with that tool. Bosch makes very good blades for them and I have some Lenox blades that are also very good.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
According to the product description that should be an excellent saw. It has lots of power, a rubber grip where your hand goes, tool less blade change, and you can switch the fan exhaust to blow your pencil line clean so that you can see where you are cutting. It has variable speed and trigger control which seems redundant but that's getting nit-picky. I think you'll be very happy with that tool. Bosch makes very good blades for them and I have some Lenox blades that are also very good.
Thank you @Cherryville Chuck. I went ahead and took it off of my neighbors hands. I couldn't resist at $50.00CDN. Seemed like a good deal to me! Appreciate your input. Peter

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Is there a specific Bosch blade that I should consider when cutting through 3/4" MDF

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: peterbata

·
Registered
204 Posts
New to this forum, but have been installing high end car audio since the 1980s.
MDF is the go to material for speaker baffles, enclosures and panels; from 1/8" hardboard to 1" or even multiple panels laminated together for extra stiffness when building BIG systems with say a dozen 18" subwoofers and kilowatts of power.

Really surprised no one else caught this, but cutting even half inch, but especially 3/4" or thicker mdf with a standard jig saw doesn't work - regardless of what blade you are using.

ORBITAL jig saw is the only way, along with an appropriate high grade blade. This means the blade rocks as well as cuts, clearing the chips and basically angling the cutting blade angle of incidence.
This is especially important when cutting curves; but you will break off blades and kill your saw as well as your patience level if you try to use anything other than an orbital saw.

I have cut thousands of panels on a table saw (or get HD to cut them for me on their panel saw) but anything that isn't straight gets the orbital BOSCH barrel saw I have had since 1995. Low vibration, heavy and does the trick.

Hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts