Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in newcastle uk .i am new to a router and find it fascinating when you are using it i like to learn that is why i use this site. i am looking to make a homemade jig for cutting dovetails

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings John and welcome to the router forums.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Welcome aboard John and great name.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello John, Glad that you are here. I was wondering, how Long you have been working wood? It is rather hard to make yourself a dovetail jig, but you should be able to purchase one and make dovetails. After making dovetails for for a time, then you will have something to work with as far as ideas to build one. They are fun to be able to take a piece of wood, and make A joint. Have fun, and enjoy the forums

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
i live in newcastle uk .i am new to a router and find it fascinating when you are using it i like to learn that is why i use this site. i am looking to make a homemade jig for cutting dovetails
Hi John:

There are several versions available across the 'net. Start by studying what is available. There is one type that cuts both the pins and tails at the same time. Break it down into it's constituent parts and you'll find it not too difficult to make. It is the adjustment methods that are the killer.

In almost all of these the comb is the hard part to do. However, I would suggest that you take a look at Richard Stottmann's dovetail template master at stots.com . His half blind dovetails are a kludge but the other forms are brilliant. Take a look before you drop your nickles on something that may, or may not, suit your needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts