Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...finally happened...RETIREMENT...

I have joined the ranks that I have envied for a long time...last Friday...August 31, 2018

I have also found that, as a "probie", I have acquired a couple of mentors. Names will go unmentioned to protect the innocent but Colorado and Florida come to mind.

My mentors tell me I need to practice the fine arts...nothing, later, nap, procrastinate, coffee, nothing, later, nap, repeat... Procrastinating today gives you what not to do tomorrow... As convoluted as this sounds, it's making more sense as the hours go by. I guess I might be a quick study.

I am to check in on a regular basis to make sure I am progressing properly.

Apparently, high mileage days are out...as are projects for others...and "work" is a 4-letter word.

I am also supposed to practice not knowing what day it is...this is key to a successful retirement, I'm told...

So now instead of making "to do" lists, I am supposed to make "don't do" lists...

So now I ask...those of you that have practiced this for a longer time than I, do you have any words of wisdom...?

This forum has always been good with advice so I'm hoping I can accelerate my studies so as to please my mentors.

...YAHOOO-OOOOOO...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Congratulations Nick!!
You've made it to the finish line...

"So now instead of making "to do" lists, I am supposed to make "don't do" lists...

So now I ask...those of you that have practiced this for a longer time than I, do you have any words of wisdom...?"

Yup; don't make lists. Too much like work. ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congratulations to you ....

It took me a long time to slow down.....
Had to keep reminding myself there’s
no reason to rush anymore....
You now have the luxury of "quitting"
for the day at 2:30 .... I did that today
when I realized I had cut a piece backwards...
I’ll head out to the shop tomorrow,
maybe at 10:00 or ??:?? a.m. ....Who knows ....

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Congrats -- you graduated!!!

There are 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday in a week.

And if you wake up -- it's going to be a good day.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You will find that you will be busier than ever. You will wonder when you found time to work! I have talked with many retirees that have seen this. Do you have a hobby or interests? Get interested or involved in something. The worst thing is to sit around and grow around the middle. I do woodturning and have seen a number of retirees that started in this or went back after many years of working and raising kids. I have seven grandkids in town- always something going on. Sports games, recitals, off school due to sickness- so who do they call? My wife was "forced" into retirement when the church shut down the day care ministry two years ago. She sews for four granddaughters- got some material for making purses. Have you thought about sewing? Don't laugh- my brother-in-law makes beautiful quilts. We have a friend who does the same thing. Welcome to the world of retirement. I retired in 2009 and it took me three days to adjust.

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
Never made to do lists. All it does is remind you you've either failed or forgotten (which can cost you millions of husband points). I'm not sure I agree with doing nothing as the center piece of a good retirement. Doing things to a deadline, however, is pretty much out for me.

But I do like being busy doing things I like to do. I've always liked community theater but had little time for it. So now I'm converting a church meeting room for my senior group into a theater venue, with lights, dimmers, and soon, an expanded stage area and some theatrical flats to form a clean opening to the stage (a proscenium). Incorporates many of my personal interests, keeps me busy and off the potato patch (the couch).

But I refuse to take on anything that I don't like doing. Unless of course, my wife asks. I find life is really much better when I pay close attention to her, mute the TV when she speaks, hold hands when we walk together or watch a movie, make time to talk now and again, wash the dishes from time to time, especially when she's tired, praise the good parts of her paintings and art work instead of focusing on the not so great bits. The payoff is well worth the small effort it takes for these small acts of consideration and kindness.

I will say the medical issues forced me to retire and for 6 months I hated not being able to do the things I used to do for what can loosely be called work. But I've gotten over it. Now I can walk out to the shop and spend some wonderful hours fooling around with some project or another.

It will be interesting to follow how you adapt to being retired. I think it's different for everyone. So I hope you'll take time now and again to post how it's going.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1... Well...finally happened...RETIREMENT...

2... I have also found that, as a "probie", I have acquired a couple of mentors. Names will go unmentioned to protect the innocent but Colorado and Florida come to mind.

3... My mentors tell me I need to practice the fine arts...nothing, later, nap, procrastinate, coffee, nothing, later, nap, repeat...

4... Procrastinating today gives you what not to do tomorrow...

5... I am to check in on a regular basis to make sure I am progressing properly.

6... Apparently, high mileage days are out...as are projects for others...and "work" is a 4-letter word.

7... I am also supposed to practice not knowing what day it is...this is key to a successful retirement, I'm told...

8... So now instead of making "to do" lists, I am supposed to make "don't do" lists...
1... WAY TO GO PROBIE!!!!
2... Good... WTB they won't want to ''sponsor'' anyone else...
3... You left out eating, sex and fishing...
4... that's procrastination is a good thing... it gives you something to do tomorrow and nothing to do today...
5... yup, we need to know if you fell off of the wagon and support needs to be rallied...
6... good start..
7... when you are clueless as to what a day/date group is,,, you have overcome a major hurdle...
8... NO!!! that still doing...

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Congratulations Nick. But you forgot to list checking router forums at least 10 times per day in your chores list.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Nick, throw the alarm clock out the window.

John, 3 days to adjust? Man, what took you so long?

Reactions: Nickp and Stick486

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
8,150 Posts

Well...finally happened...RETIREMENT...

I have joined the ranks that I have envied for a long time...last Friday...August 31, 2018

Congratulations Nick

I have also found that, as a "probie", I have acquired a couple of mentors. Names will go unmentioned to protect the innocent but Colorado and Florida come to mind.

Dont worry about the ‘Probie’ ranking as graduation seldom takes long.

My mentors tell me I need to practice the fine arts...nothing, later, nap, procrastinate, coffee, nothing, later, nap, repeat... Procrastinating today gives you what not to do tomorrow... As convoluted as this sounds, it's making more sense as the hours go by. I guess I might be a quick study.

You are on the right course to graduation.

I am to check in on a regular basis to make sure I am progressing.

Its always good to check in and ensure you are getting properly prepared for graduation.

Apparently, high mileage days are out...as are projects for others...and "work" is a 4-letter word.

Whats work.

I am also supposed to practice not knowing what day it is...this is key to a successful retirement, I'm told...

Thats easy every day is a Saturday so therfore no effort or practice is required.

So now instead of making "to do" lists, I am supposed to make "don't do" lists...

Leave the ‘To Do List’ on the wall to remind you what it used to be like. It helps guide you to your graduation.

So now I ask...those of you that have practiced this for a longer time than I, do you have any words of wisdom...?

Just enjoy every Saturday.

This forum has always been good with advice so I'm hoping I can accelerate my studies so as to please my mentors.

Graduation is coming quicker than you realise so remimber to not over study.

...YAHOOO-OOOOOO...

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Nick
Have fun with your new found freedom! Here’s to hoping your retirement is a dream come true!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Gene; Nick still needs the alarm clock...fishing!
"Interests
other hobbies include sailing, fly fishing, motorcycle"
no he doesn't...
he goes when he gets up...
all spur of the moment..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts